Another 1600 conversion thread

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: Another 1600 conversion thread

Post by Jordi » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:00 pm

Bought 2 for £90. Got my failed delivery card through today so collecting as post office tomorrow or friday.

Cheers for the offer. I did have that on my watch list.

Jordi
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

SJ Greg
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by SJ Greg » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:07 pm

you got a bargain there then mate no worries m doing a 1600 16 v conversion to the sj in the summer burought engine for £120 with 80k on clock good luck with your build

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:17 pm

Cheers bud. Yeah. For all i don't really have the money for the engine or carb the prices i got them for i couldn't refuse it.

Had my Samurai on SU for 3 years with no problems so im gone put 1.6 in on su on a RW manifold, convert my KJA to a RW manifold and SU and may do manifold on my SJ too. Or poss just put the elbow off my Samurai onto it.

At the same time as getting manifolds done i'm getting a rocklobster made. So probably be march when it all gets fitted.

Hope your conversion goes well.

Jordi
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:33 pm

Started stripping my 1600 down today to get the manifold off for RW.

Whilst i never had to cut or undo any wires there was still a load of the vit harness tangled amongst the engine. Like most of the pipes it had just been cut off.

Do i need it?

I'm converting it to a HIF44 and presuming all the wiring I need will be the existing Samurai harness?

Same for pipes. All the pipes have been cut off. So long as I change the water rail to keep everything roughly lined up do i need any additional pipes or will all of the Samurai pipes do?

Cheers
Jordi

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here

Post by dan_2k_uk » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:08 pm

All hoses and wiring will just go back as per ur current 1.3 SU setup

If you can weld dont bother with an adapter plate.
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:26 pm

dan_2k_uk wrote:
If you can weld dont bother with an adapter plate.

Which adapter plate dan? The gear box to engine plate one?

I can weld ok, just wana make a tidy hassle free job of it, get it done in a weekend.

Jordi

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:39 pm

Yeah.

Just drill top mounts of gearbox out to 12mm Which you would have to do regardless of whether you use a plate or not.

Then one of the 12mm holes (right one I think but will be apparent when you do it) open it out to 14mm a few mm deep for the alignment dowel. Could probably get away without it but I've done it all 3 times.

Wind the studs out of bottom of the gearbox and wind them in the reverse side of the holes they came from

now mate the gearbox to the engine using the 12mm bolts at the top and poke some 10mm bolt thread or threaded rod through the bottom engine flange holes with a nut on them and the should sit exactly 10mm away from the reversed studs.

Fill this gap with another bit of threaded rod and weld it all together with a few nice hot passes

Will end up with a little bracket looking like this.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:43 pm

Hmmm, interesting. So how does the front all match up? any gaps?

did you use the plate off the vit engine between or samurai engine? or are they the same?

Cheers
Jordi

P.S. I'm sure I've read that on another website, linked from your build thread or maybe Ferris' thread.

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:33 pm

Think its linked in my build thread somewhere.

Use the 1300 plate between. It just needs a little trim to fit then there is just a small gap I silliconed a bit of ally cut to shape over.

Prefer it to all this 'just wind the coarse thread bolts through they cut their own thread' adaptor stuff. More of a bodge than this method imo.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:43 pm

Don't think anyway is perfect. I might do it that way and see how it goes. I have a spare gearbox i can use to line it all up and weld up the modded studs before i take my Samurai apart.

Jordi