410 starts,but conks out again!

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
dixie74
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

410 starts,but conks out again!

Post by dixie74 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:38 pm

any ideas?my sj 410 turns over,fires into life,then as soon as i back the key off it promtly dies. :cry: -basically it'll run all the time starter motor engages,but this will kill the stater and flywheel.any suggestions hugely accepted. :lol: :lol:

muddy kev
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: 410 starts,but conks out again!

Post by muddy kev » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:13 pm

hi, check the ballast resistor next to the coil. prob bad connection or burnt out.
cheers kev

hucky
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by hucky » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:39 am

this may sound stupid but i did it the first few times, is the choke on? if not that could be why... not being used to the older car like this i over looked that

also im having a problem where mine was stood for 3 years and the fuel ran out so i think theirs gunk etc in the fuel lines, but i can drive it and then it will cut out.. leave it for a few mins and it will work again but then cut out again... 30 mins to move it 2 miles lol

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:23 pm

might be blocked jets in the carb or a blocked fuel filter.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

chan
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by chan » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:55 am

dixie if it dies when you let go of the key check the all the plugs on the fuse board in the passenger footwell.
take just take them off and look at them, pull each wire firmly to make sure its properly secured.
if my memory serves right theres a large brown wire going into the top left hand corner of the fuse board i think thats the one you need to double check, but obvousily check all the wires/fuses and make sure the fuse board is screwed on properly as it gets its earth this way ;)