2002 TD Blue smoke and hesitation at 3000rpm

All tech relating to the Suzuki Vitara that won't relate to any other models, Front IFS etc.
D3v1n
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

2002 TD Blue smoke and hesitation at 3000rpm

Post by D3v1n » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:21 pm

Hello
My 2002 GV has been going into limp mode occasionally and wont rev past 2500. Usually this is come up as a throttle position sensor fault and its usually fine when I clear the code. I suspect this is down to someone doing a bodge job on it since the wires going to the throttle position sensor are clearly not standard.

The other day it went into limp mode again but this time it was turbocharger waste gate solenoid. I cleared that hoping it would come back while driving and I could pin point the cause. No luck with that. No engine light now but the car is hesitating at 3,000rpm and blowing blue smoke if you let it sit at those revs.
I noticed an oil leak that looks like its coming from where the intercooler meets the turbo on the drivers side. The engine seems to be whining more now as you go up through the revs.

Not really sure where to start investigating this. Could the turbo be on the way out and letting oil past the turbine and into the cylinders?
I actually had this same problem about a year ago and it seemed to go away after an italian tune up but no luck this time.
ANy advice much appreciated :)

courior
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Re: 2002 TD Blue smoke and hesitation at 3000rpm

Post by courior » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:46 pm

I would say turbo is going. Take off the inlet pipe and see if there is any play in the turbine. Should be solid as a rock and spin smoothly and with little resistance. If there is any play in it then oil can get past the fluid bearings.. U could also remove the turbo and check for oil on the compression side for a definitive answer.
Maruti Gypsy MG410
Electric Fan upgrade
5 speed box
30" Insa Turbo Saharas
1.5" Shackle Lift
LWB Pickup Conversion
Lots of stickers and a Skull gearknob.
Daymaker led lights

D3v1n
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by D3v1n » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:44 pm

Thanks for the reply.
Will have a look at that tomorrow if I can.

Are these turbos the same as fitted to peugeots with the RHZ engine? Been looking on ebay and seems like it would be cheaper to get one from a pug.

courior
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by courior » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:53 am

Ive no idea mate about them in particular. im sure someone on here with a pug motor will be able to help tho
Maruti Gypsy MG410
Electric Fan upgrade
5 speed box
30" Insa Turbo Saharas
1.5" Shackle Lift
LWB Pickup Conversion
Lots of stickers and a Skull gearknob.
Daymaker led lights