Few questions on props and other bits

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Few questions on props and other bits

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:25 am

Gilly_SJ wrote:Not be doing preloads haha I was thinking more of a windy gun off then back on. May do the diff if there is less chance of making a mess of it
If you did that on the diffs then don't expect them to last long!!! If the diff flanges come off then you at least need to fit a new crush collar, and in order to reset the pinion bearing preload the diff needs to come out of the carrier.

As said, just Redrill the flanges, it's the quickest and safest option.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Gilly_SJ
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Gilly_SJ » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:50 pm

ScottieJ wrote:
Gilly_SJ wrote:Not be doing preloads haha I was thinking more of a windy gun off then back on. May do the diff if there is less chance of making a mess of it
If you did that on the diffs then don't expect them to last long!!! If the diff flanges come off then you at least need to fit a new crush collar, and in order to reset the pinion bearing preload the diff needs to come out of the carrier.

As said, just Re drill the flanges, it's the quickest and safest option.

Yeah that sounds a bit out of my comfort zone. Ill use the flange to drill the rear but the front still isn't on so I'll do it with my little jig i've made.

Gilly_SJ
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Gilly_SJ » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:13 am

drilled the rear and fitted up nicely but I noticed the prop seems to be almost fully compressed just stood at ride height. is there anyway to shorten it a touch or is it easier to move the rear axle back a smidgen.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:22 am

Have you got pics, there's a chance it has a 410 rear prop, they are around 25mm longer than 413/samurai props.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Gilly_SJ
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Gilly_SJ » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:38 am

This anus is like Frankenstein's monster. Ill get some later when I get home. A friend has an odd Prop that wouldnt fit his 410 so that may be the right length.

I was hoping I could just tickle 10mm off the splines and call it a day,

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:55 pm

Gilly_SJ wrote:
Personally I wouldn't, will be handy to keep if it ever gets a bit more suspension lift
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:36 pm

ScottieJ wrote:
Gilly_SJ wrote:
Personally I wouldn't, will be handy to keep if it ever gets a bit more suspension lift
Or swap the longer prop for a Samurai prop with someone who could use it.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Gilly_SJ
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Gilly_SJ » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:30 pm

Had it out yesterday and no knocking over bumps etc so looks to be fine, brakes are taking a lot of bleeding and had to clean the master cylinder. Got some pedal feel now but it's still very low so need to look at that. The ratios seems to be helping, places I couldn't try unless in 2nd gear low I can now do in 1st so it's not bogging down as badly when all 4 get grip.