Sticking transfer gearchange ???

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
Slaw1967
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Sticking transfer gearchange ???

Post by Slaw1967 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:00 pm

I wonder if anyone can throw any light or infact tell me if this is normal. I am new to the 4x4 market and have bought a nice little sj410 so i can keep mobile in the winter (Plumber). Also i have removed the rear seats and the wife has pinched it for the dog mobile. I can move the transfer lever from 2 to 4 high and accross and up to 4 low and all is fine in 4 low and back to 4 high and all is well though a little shaky. But when i stop to go back to 2 the lever won't move. If i then reverse and stop then try again it seems to free the lever to move. The sj has been garaged and used little for years and is in very good condition for her age.
It may be that i need to run her through the transfer box on a regular basis to free her up. Any suggestions from you professional 4x4ers would be gratefully received.

rockwatt
Recommended Trader
Recommended Trader

Re: Sticking transfer gearchange ???

Post by rockwatt » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:37 pm

Thats normal is just wind up as there is no center diff. You should never engage 4wd unless you are on a loose slippy surface.

RW
Rocklobster gears , refurb cases , dual cases , su manifolds , jimny rocklobster conversions inc speedo drive, t/case heavy duty mounting arms and rock buckets, bespoke fabrications and machining,
Contact me for details.