fitting new seats? welding up arches? Painting your SJ? post your queries here
Lee-Mk2
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

SJ410 - Rust lots of it ...

Post by Lee-Mk2 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:43 pm

Hi,

First post here.

We have a '86 SJ410 which we have had for many years although it has not been used for some time. The main problem is obviously rust to the body tub which has the usual rust to the rear arches, front floors and on the bulkhead/screen support. The body is in a pretty bad way although the running gear etc is all fine and has been looked after. I have spare doors bonnet etc it is just the body tub that has me worried. What are the chances of finding a solid ish tub that could replace the existing one and if so how difficult would it be to swap.

I realise finding a decent body is probably the main issue but think it would ne nice and also cheaper to start with something fairly solid. Another option would be to replace the whole car although for my own reasons this is something I dont want to do (want to keep original chassis etc). It really is only the body tub that needs a lot of work.

Cheers
Lee

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: SJ410 - Rust lots of it ...

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:06 pm

Hi matey :welcome: to :S:cuk

A good body is a hard thing to find when it comes to an SJ I'm afraid.

where abouts are you though as I might be able to persuade my mate to part with the body off a 410 sat on his farm as I was thinking about buying it for the chassis. It looks pretty solid from what I have seen, its an hold 410 tin top in blue.

perhaps post some pics up of your SJ and the rust and we could let you know how hard it would be to repair?
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

4eye
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by 4eye » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:24 pm

welcome to sc-uk.....like scottie said...post some picks and it may not be as bad as you think......you'd be surprsed how good you can make it with a lil MIG plant/body filler/ touch of paint and a bit of your time! :thumbup:
ITS NOT LEAKING OIL...........SHE'S MARKIN HER TERRITORY!!!!!!!!

my ride.........:4eye:

+2 lift....grizzley boots is all i need!

Lee-Mk2
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Lee-Mk2 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:35 pm

Cheers for the repies.
I was already thinking it might be easier to fix what I have, just liked the idea of starting with something solid. I have just had a chat with the guy at ADK Suzuki and he feels it is probably easier to fix than find a decent body tub.

I will hopefully have a good look at it over the weekend and decide on a plan of action. The cars a soft top and i'm in north Kent / SE London.

Cheers
Lee

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:31 pm

Oooh hello! Welcome to Suzuki Club UK!!!

Get some pics up, we love pics!!! If you need a hand with anything don't hesitate to ask! :cowboy::
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

ferris
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by ferris » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:27 pm

:welcome: to the club. Dont forget the pic's :thumbup:
86 SJ413 tin top, 1.6 8v, SU carb, YJ spring conversion, virtual lift, 33x12.5x15 KL71's, rocklobster, rear discs, power steering.

4eye
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by 4eye » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:24 pm

Oh yeah....forgot to say......sc-uk are kinda piccy mad.......so you will be pestered untill you post :P :hahaha: ;) :lol: :poke:
ITS NOT LEAKING OIL...........SHE'S MARKIN HER TERRITORY!!!!!!!!

my ride.........:4eye:

+2 lift....grizzley boots is all i need!

Lee-Mk2
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Lee-Mk2 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:25 pm

Ok I started stripping out the interior and started looking for any signs of steel.

The drivers side is nearly all hole i think the only thing forming the floor is the sound deadening. The holes extend up to the accelerator. The rear part under the seat and back looks to be ok.

The forward part of the passenger side has a few holes but is not as bad as the drivers. The rear part has holes where it is double skinned (behind the seat but in front of the slope up to the rear bed.

Obviousy then there is the rear arches which although need sorting are the least concern. I will try to sort some pis out tomorrow.

Does anyone in the uk supply floor panels? I have had a look on the internet bt don't seem to be able to find any.

Cheers
Lee

Lee-Mk2
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Lee-Mk2 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:16 pm

I have found a company in Germany that appear to do the parts I require although the rear panels do not have the lip that the rubber arches should connect to. How do people usualy get round the problem?

Cheers
Lee

Does anyone have any advice on the rear arches? Has anyone replaced them and kept the original small rubber arch?

Ok I have sorted out an answer with regard to the arches and have new rear quaters on the way. At least it seems that parts for SJ's are reasonably priced! I will post some pictures of the holes and of the work as it is carried out. I will be ordering some floor anels next.