Ignition Problem

Got an electrical gremlin? Ask the question here.
ferris
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Ignition Problem

Post by ferris » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:01 pm

Hi guys, got a bit of a problem hopfully someone can shed some light on.

Was driving around earlier and all was fine. Then i stopped went in the shop, then when i started it again smoke started coming out of the dash :shock: . So i stopped the engine let the smoke clear and tryed it again. More smoke and a rattle comming from the engine bay. So i ripped the dash apart and found it was comming from the ignition barral. The solder on two of the wires had melted and the wires were no longer connected.

So now i have two wires still connected (one back and one white) and two wires not connected (one black and one white). If i turn the key the dash lights come on ok and if i tap the black wire on the terminal it will start and i can drive it with the two wires still dissconnected. But if i hold the two wires on the terminals they are supose to go on the barral glows from the inside.

The only thing i can think it might be to do with is the starter motor, as that has been playing up a bit recently.
86 SJ413 tin top, 1.6 8v, SU carb, YJ spring conversion, virtual lift, 33x12.5x15 KL71's, rocklobster, rear discs, power steering.

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Re: Ignition Problem

Post by twiss » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:19 pm

It would be worth checking the starter is wired up correctly...
Then I would take it off and test it out of the car, make sure the solenoid works properly...

You could try doing the "clicky starter" fix.
Normally it's done because the wire to the starter (small one that connects to the solenoid) corrodes over time, and doesn't carry enough charge to activate the starter... and it just clicks like you're out of battery.
Maybe the starter is broken and is guzzling power through the tiny wire?

If you used a 30a relay and 30a fuse like so....

If it blows the fuse then its definitely the starter!!!

Otherwise this should reduce the current going through the ignition barrel to almost nothing.

Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

ferris
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by ferris » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:11 pm

Cheers or the info Twiss. I checked out the starter and it seems ok now. But what ever happend it seems to have melted the internals of the ignition switch. So i need to get another one of those to start with. Im still having to hot wire it at the moment.

So has anyone got one of these lying around....
86 SJ413 tin top, 1.6 8v, SU carb, YJ spring conversion, virtual lift, 33x12.5x15 KL71's, rocklobster, rear discs, power steering.

ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here

Post by ROBBIE » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:19 pm

get a switch hidden somewhere and a start button
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

ferris
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by ferris » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:47 am

yeah i might have to do that if i cant get a replacement. Might go down the main stealers later and see if they can get one.

Ginger_boy
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Ginger_boy » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:12 am

ROBBIE wrote:get a switch hidden somewhere and a start button
Thats Not a bad idea if ignition swith is bust

Have a look at demon-tweeks web http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Motorspor ... /1282/1643 that the Key switch you could hide somewhere out of the way for security. Then If your dash has that stupid cuby hole in the middle with the flap broken on it why not think about fitting one of these in ithttp://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Motorspor ... /1281/1632
It' a 4x4 why not drive it across a field

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:07 pm

ferris wrote:Cheers or the info Twiss. I checked out the starter and it seems ok now. But what ever happend it seems to have melted the internals of the ignition switch. So i need to get another one of those to start with. Im still having to hot wire it at the moment.

So has anyone got one of these lying around....

You may be as well getting a complete ignition barrell, (i don't know if some breaking would sell you just that bit) bear in mind there are 2 different types of ignition switch, aparantly the 410 early barrell is better than the later one, although the casting is different and the early one is a different angle to the later one and although it does fit through the plastic it doesn't look like the original (I swapped from a later ignition that got damged one some one tried to steal my sj to an older one)

a new ignition barrell is dead easy to fit you just remove the two 'security' bolts on the column I used mole grips and ta da,

ROBBIE

Post by ROBBIE » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:02 pm

Ginger_boy wrote:
ROBBIE wrote:get a switch hidden somewhere and a start button
Thats Not a bad idea if ignition swith is bust

Have a look at demon-tweeks web http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Motorspor ... /1282/1643 that the Key switch you could hide somewhere out of the way for security. Then If your dash has that stupid cuby hole in the middle with the flap broken on it why not think about fitting one of these in ithttp://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Motorspor ... /1281/1632

my ignition only turns the power on. 1 day it just stopped firing up the engine so i got a panel http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IGNITION-SWITCH-P ... 1e586de3a8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and put it over the cubby hole
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good