What tyre is better?

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
lazy rambler
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

What tyre is better?

Post by lazy rambler » Thu May 26, 2011 9:13 pm

I'm after a new set of 31x10.5x15 tyres for my SJ. I've been looking at Copper Discoverer STT's I can get them for £101 each from John Craddock's. But today I went to my local tyre fitter and he suggested Hankook Dynapro MT's fitted for £113 each.
I've been looking up reviews online, mainly us anus forums (they seem to come up first on google), both tyres are getting good reviews on there.
Does anyone on here have any opinions on these tyres? :er:
:blackside: 2" Shackles, 31" x 10.5" Buckshot Mudders, 1.6 8V with SU :blackfront:

Now a build in progress

mayhemmiller
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Re: What tyre is better?

Post by mayhemmiller » Thu May 26, 2011 9:38 pm

i have hankook dynamic radials on the back of mine and have never let me down i have never used the copper's but here there very good also sorry that don't really help

:mayhemmiller:
awaiting the next adventure
it's when it stop's leaking oil you need to worry as it's all gone

:mayhemmiller:

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu May 26, 2011 9:48 pm

I've never used coopers but they don't look like anything special IMO and my housemate has hankooks on his vw taro (hilux) I haven't taken that offroad yet but they seem to drive well on road.

I run maxxis buckshot mudders on mine and love them :thumbup: good road handling on road in the zuki and better than bfgs in the mud, as they have wider gaps between the tread compared to other similar patterns and they've got me through stuff landys on bigger more aggressive tyres haven't :thefinger:

Just to throw this in the works though, you have a lot of choice in your price range

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m26b0s495p0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I quite like the look of maxxis trepadors and also kuhmo kl71s are also pretty good. parrot loves them as I'm sure he'll be on here to say at some point :lol:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Henry » Thu May 26, 2011 9:52 pm

I have the dynapros.

Carnt fault them, i run them low pressure and they are a good tire. Self cleaning is average, but the side wall tread (although minimal) has helped me out a few times when in the ruts

lazy rambler
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by lazy rambler » Thu May 26, 2011 10:00 pm

Thanks for the advice.
I run maxxis buckshot mudders on mine and love them
I have a buckshot as my spare but have never used it. I didn't think they looked like they'd be much good off road.
I leaning towards the copper's at the moment, but that's probly only because nobody I know has them.
:blackside: 2" Shackles, 31" x 10.5" Buckshot Mudders, 1.6 8V with SU :blackfront:

Now a build in progress

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu May 26, 2011 11:23 pm

I think they'll suprise you :mrgreen: they are not that dissimilar to coopers really.
Most people I know who have run the buckshots offroad have liked them.

Obviously they aren't going to be as good as an aggressive simex or bogger style tyre in the mud but for what I would call an allrounder M/T they work very well and better than a lot of other M/Ts

Mine are the 33x12.50s :mrgreen:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

turbo-tom
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by turbo-tom » Tue May 31, 2011 4:48 pm

i run 31inch grizzly claws and only got stuck twice with them in the same spot, but i dont think they make them anymore but there is companys out there that do pretty much the same type of tread,

but the noise they make on the road is horrible , we normaly drive around with ear defenders on when on the road :lol:
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Tue May 31, 2011 5:25 pm

I have Kumho KL-71s and I can't fault them!!!

Really nice on road, great in the muddy stuff as well!

I'd also recommend the Insa Turbo Sahara tread pattern. I had them previously and they were brilliant!
Managed to get a set of four for £90 ;)
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

lazy rambler
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by lazy rambler » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:36 pm

I currently run bronco grizzly claws, does anyone know of a tyre with similer/same tread patern?

Now a build in progress

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:48 pm

If you run Grizzly claws and you want similar performance in the mud I would forget coopers and dynopros and go for a simex style pattern like the malatesta kaimans :thumbup: you can also get them from camskill in the link i posted earlier in the thread.

unfortunately bronco went bust so you can longer get grizzlys, its a shame they are a brilliant tyre, would be better if they weren't remoulds though, my mate has lost whole lugs on his :S and they don't last that long on road compared to premium tyres :thumbdown:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!