non starter..blowing thro carb?

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
zukisj
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: non starter..blowing thro carb?

Post by zukisj » Mon May 16, 2011 11:25 pm

hey thanks for your suggestions once again..i will try and do/check what u guys have mentioned and see if that helps..im gettin the welding done this week then all i need to do is find an exhaust and shes good to go!!im tryin to work out how to put some pics up so keep an eye out...bear in mind ive never attempted anything like this before so no laughing!!cheers.

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Tue May 17, 2011 4:35 pm

best of luck! We've all gotta start somewhere!!!
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

zukisj
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by zukisj » Tue May 24, 2011 11:29 am

hello...wondering if you guys can help again...i need to get some rear wheel cylinders and brake shoes..both wheels...the cheapest i could find was £85..is this about right?i also need a water pump..is ebay the cheapest?cheers!

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Tue May 24, 2011 1:44 pm

Hi,
Where I get my parts from (a local motor factors) the cylinders are £30-35 each... the brake shoes are £15 for all 4...
I recently got a water pump (via ebay) from a company called "Japanese 4x4 spares"

here's their web site:
http://www.japanese4x4spares.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Twiss

'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

zukisj
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by zukisj » Fri May 27, 2011 5:03 pm

they r good for the parts eh!got what i needed thanks...just wandering if any of you can tell me the measurements/size of the tread plate you use for the bonnet strips..ive just aquired some and mite give it a go..i got her out in the field yesterday!!

zukisj
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by zukisj » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:56 pm

hello people..i have another problem now..im hoping its not major!!!i went to drain some oil out of the sump yesterday and i reckon 95% of what came out was fuel..it was stinking of petrol and really thin and runny...when i try to start it turns over but wont start and almost immediately you can smell fuel...i did have it running the other day and managed to drive up the lane before it coughed and spluttered and chucked a load of oily petrol out of the breather pipe on that goes through the rocker cover...i have now drained all the oil out as i didnt think it wud be very good anyway...any suggestions will be read in detail!!thanks.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:31 pm

I would imagine it's just where it hasn't had a chance to run up to temp and hasn't been ran whilst firing right and for a decent amount of time. All of the unburnt fuel can get past the piston rings and into the oil in those scenarios.

It should be ok!

However it might be worth doing a compression test and making sure the piston rings haven't gone.
and it also might be worth changing the oil again after a few good long runs to make sure all of the petrol is flushed out of the engine oil as it is not good for the internals and bearing surfaces.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

zukisj
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by zukisj » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:33 pm

thanks i will try that..im hoping it is that!so when ive got it running i should take it for a drive and let the temp get up a fair bit...if it starts spluttering and stuff and cuts out...what could this be?and also could i put any kind of ignition barrel in it?the one in there is broken..im not too sure if it would affect the steering lock if i put a new one in.thanks again.!

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:50 pm

RE steering lock - -I think all SJ ignition barrels will fit... and the steering lock will work! :)
Twiss

'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

zukisj
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by zukisj » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:01 pm

hi guys...well...i got my sj running today...i put 7 pounds worth of fuel in it to travel about 4 miles...i got it started(with a bit of easy start!)and all was well..i gave it a few revs and it settled down to idle at about 900rpm...i havent changed or done anything to it since last time but now it seems to idle by itself without cutting out whereas last time i fired it up it would cut out when i took my foot off the accelerator....i did sit in it and run it for about 20 mins at 1500rpm then it seemed to pick up a bit and run on its own...so i though i would drive it to the garage..i drove it about half a mile,had to stop for a car to past and the revs just picked up to 4000rpm and then it just cut out...i couldnt get it started again?i got towed the rest of the way but havent took it to the garage yet cos im trying to keep the cost down!!i did try to bump it a couple of times and it would fire up but then it would die again..then i tried the easy start and again it would fire up then die?any ideas would be cool cos im beginning to think its not gunna happen!!thanks alot guys.