non starter..blowing thro carb?

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: non starter..blowing thro carb?

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:08 pm

Not sure about the revving up unless the throttle stuck on or something?

but perhaps you have loads of crap in the bottom of your fuel tank that was blocking the jets and when you used easy start it cleared it? then you picked up some more crap and the fuel lines are now blocked.

first things first bung a brand new fuel filter on. about £4 from halfords, secondly follow this thread to clean your jets http://www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk/phpBB3/ph ... =13&t=2867" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

if this cures it but then it happens again you need to drop the fuel tank flush it out, blow back through all the fuel lines and remove the new filter and give it a good blow back through to clear any crap out of it that it might have picked up. also remove the sender from the tank and check the gauze on the bottom of the pick up.

If this doesn't help then I would start looking at the ignition system, maybe the condenser is breaking down and you are loosing the spark so a new condenser and points would be the order of the day (only around £10)
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:23 pm

Oh and a good qty of fresh fuel wouldn't go a miss. 5L isn't much in the bottom of the tank and would only be a few inches deep in the bottom of the tank and if it's mixed with old stale fuel it ignite as well as 100% fresh fuel.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:27 pm

Stick some premium petrol in there as well... it can help sometimes!!!
(If your bank will sort out a loan to pay for a tank of it) ;)
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

zukisj
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by zukisj » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:41 pm

hi again..the inline fuel filter was so choked full of dirt im hoping this is the reason it wasnt running well...i couldnt believe how dirty it was...ive got a new one on the way...is it safe to use a compressed airline to blow the pipes through?and how do i clean the tank?i took it off and had a look in with a torch and it looks quite clean and shiny but i just didnt no how to clean it out?would the carb need cleaning considering all the crap that was in the filter?to be honest im a bit reluctant to try and clean the jets because im not really confident enough to do it...im a total beginner!!is it worth trying it with the new filter and lines cleaned out with new fuel or should i do the jets aswell?sorry bout all the questions but im really want to get it on the road!!cheers!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:24 am

yep blow back down from the engine end of the fuel lines with an air line (obviously with tank and filter not connected :lol: )

what I do is get a 2 clean containers and empty the fuel from the tank into one, then use a funnel with a rag in or something to act as a filter to transfer fuel into the other container. then put clean fuel back in the tank, swill it around a bit and repeat draining and filtering a few times.

and trust me cleaning the jets on a 410 carb is easy as anything, just follow the guide and make sure you don't loose any of the small bits. it takes about 5 minutes and i've done it on the side of the road a few times :lol:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

zukisj
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by zukisj » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:45 pm

hi..well where do i start!!can u guys tell me how to tell the difference between a 1.3 engine and a 1.0 engine?i cant find any identification marks on the actual engine...my engine is blown and when i purchased the truck i was told that it had a 1.0 engine in it..i do have five gears but im not sure if the previous owner changed the gearbox aswell and he wont answer my calls!!ive just bought another 1.3 to put in it but am still worried that it may not fit the gearbox if it is a 1.0 like he reckons..any help out there?cheers!!

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:15 am

This is a 1.0 engine:

This is a 1.3 engine:

Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

jerseyben
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by jerseyben » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:15 pm

Hello,

Sorry to hijack this thread but i am having some similar problems.

Firstly, a bit of background......

I have just done a head gasket on my 413 Sami, also re doing the valve seals and lapping the valves.

Just finished putting everything back together and it wont start :( it will turn over but not run. I have double checked the timing with TDC and everything is fine. I have also re-timed the distributor with No 1 lead. I have checked and I am getting a spark and I am getting fuel to the cylinder and also have compression so I am now lost as to why its not starting.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:08 pm

Is the timing 180 degrees out? It's easily done on these engines :thumbup:

Literally just swap the leads around to check, if at tdc you have it in this order 1,3,4,2 swap it to 4,2,1,3,
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

jerseyben
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by jerseyben » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:32 pm

ScottieJ wrote:Is the timing 180 degrees out? It's easily done on these engines :thumbup:

Literally just swap the leads around to check, if at tdc you have it in this order 1,3,4,2 swap it to 4,2,1,3,
Thanks for reply, I am a little confused. when I timed the distributor I did it as shown in image attached. when you say swap the leads round do you mean turn the cap 180 degrees round or swap the leads around on the cap ???

Thanks,
Attachments
Dizzy cap.png
Dizzy cap.png (65.64 KiB) Viewed 5849 times