Travel on brake pedal + brake hoses

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
Rjmaas512
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Travel on brake pedal + brake hoses

Post by Rjmaas512 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:49 pm

Hello,

Have a feeling that among other things my SJ will fail on brakes. Have spent some time trying to fix them.

The easy part is the brake hoses, they are rather perished, but i will see if they will pass through the MOT or not. Might just get away with it!.
Was wondering what sort of price I should be expecting to pay for new brake hoses, and where to get them from.

I was looking at
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Suzuki-SJ410-Seri ... 588575c344" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but £50.00 when I can get the same set for a series 3 landrover for less than half that price!

The hard part is I have a fair amount of travel in my brake pedal before the brakes stop the car. The car does stop and when the brakes are applied it isn't moving. Don't know about the handbrake yet though.

I was wondering how much play I should expect to have on my brake pedal and what possibile solutions there could be.
I have bled the system several times with fresh brake fluid. Checked for any leaks around the brake line areas. Have made sure the calipers are not ceased (had to take one to bits and put it back together).

There are new pads and disks at the front and new shoes at the back.

My thinking at the moment is the servo seals, so thinking of replacing the seals in that at the moment. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: Travel on brake pedal + brake hoses

Post by Jordi » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:09 am

I paid £65 for extended braided s/s hoses from dave at llama 4x4. Expensive but they are sh!t hot. I have almost no play in the pedal and at last MOT brake were pretty much 100% even all round.

As far as i know my master cylinder and calipers are original. All rubbers hoses are now braided steel, including the ones in the front wing from master cylinder to chassis. All other pipes are copper under a year old new discs, pads, shoes, rear cylinders within last 14months.

Brakes international will do a master cylinder kit one presumes.

If you leave it over night is the pedal going soft? Is it using or losing brake fluid?

Jordi
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:16 pm

Here you go.
brake_pedal_travel.JPG
brake_pedal_travel.JPG (113.39 KiB) Viewed 7823 times
Just to make sure has your SJ got a bleed valve on the bypass/proportioning valve on the inside of the O/S chassis rail just where it starts to bend upwards at the rear

As for brake lines Llamma 4x4 does them for about £46.50 a set I think, I'm sure you could pick up some standard ones cheaper though.

Most Japanese vehicles use the same fittings as suzuki so you should be able to find an alternative set if you have trouble finding some standard ones.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Rjmaas512
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Rjmaas512 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:42 pm

Thanks to both of you for this information, will go and check stuff tomorrow, unless work calls me in.

Will let you know how i get on :)

Newtomud
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Newtomud » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:54 pm

:redtin:
I was looking at Llama4x4 and they are advertising Stainless steel extended brake hoses, made to order for £15.50 each (up to 1m long)
Am I reading the ad right? :er:
Check the web site, click on Suzuki and scroll down to the bottom of the page. If the ad says what I think it says I'm having some new rear lines to go with the discs I'm fitting.
Llama phone Number 01938 850382.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:17 pm

Newtomud wrote::redtin:
I was looking at Llama4x4 and they are advertising Stainless steel extended brake hoses, made to order for £15.50 each (up to 1m long)
Am I reading the ad right? :er:
Check the web site, click on Suzuki and scroll down to the bottom of the page. If the ad says what I think it says I'm having some new rear lines to go with the discs I'm fitting.
Llama phone Number 01938 850382.
Yep that's where most of us buy our braided hoses from :doublethumbs:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:18 am

I vote llama 4x4 as well :)
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

Newtomud
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Newtomud » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:21 am

Brake hoses, Tick..
No where to find the discs.. Suzuki main dealer wants £40 each.

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:17 am

I got mine from Ebay. £45 for 2 including delivery I think it was...

Or you can pay a bit more and get vented or grooved discs ;)
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

Newtomud
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Newtomud » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:47 am

I've been looking at Ebay, Trouble is when you buy parts nowadays they just want your reg number to check the parts are the right ones..The calipers I'm fitting to the back are totally different to the original front ones.. The front are lucas? The back are aisin Suzuki like the ones on Andys DIY page, rear disc conversion. A little bit more research I think cause I don't want to spend out on the wrong part.