Another newbie

New to SCUK.co.uk? say hello, give us an idea of who you are, and show us a pic of your pride and joy. were friendly and wont bite!
martynf
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: Another newbie

Post by martynf » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:32 am

Thanks guys :-)

From what I know its a UK car, but it got lucky about 18 months ago and the chassis got a BRAND new complete body shell fitted! this thing has zero rust, like, zero! :) It does look like the body that got fitted is a Spanish one, the grille looks a bit Land Rover ish, I hear that these Sammys got built in the same factory as Spanish rovers? guess thats where the grilles 'look' came from?

She needs a few things sorted / replaced and it'll be spot on. Minor wiring issues like no side lights, brake lights, fog light all for a new MOT, sort out a high tick over, replace the front springs fix a slow puncture, heater blows cold only, plug up loads of holes in the body work where all the grommets haven't been fitted in the new shell. Fit a hi steer kit and she'll be sorted!!

Happy days !
91 LWB Chassis with a new '92 built Euro body'
Its too good to offroad now..... looks like I'll be getting a second one to get dirty with :)

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here

Post by dan_2k_uk » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:03 pm

with regards to how the brakes and suspension should be i would say if they are shit then it is spot on. I allways have to pump my brakes once to get them going
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:27 pm

the forum replaced the word S**T with poo
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

martynf
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by martynf » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:46 am

dan_2k_uk wrote:the forum replaced the word S**T with poo
:clap:

Love it!!

Ok, thats my brakes and suspension sorted then, they are poo 8-)
Its too good to offroad now..... looks like I'll be getting a second one to get dirty with :)

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:09 pm

Ah cool I just moved to bath from chippenham 2 months ago! i could always pop over and have a look over her if you want (i've got trade insurance too so i could give her a test spin :lol: ) you will find that suzukis are liable to have a bit of bumpsteer (espiecially when braking) so it could just be that your not used to it, it's also got SPOA and Dflex shackles so that might make it even more of a handful too! if you PM me your number i'll give you a call about popping over sometime soon!

Scottie J
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Zukipilot
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Zukipilot » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:08 pm

Welcome
You can go fast, I can go ANYWHERE

martynf
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by martynf » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:37 pm

How time flies.....

I reread my original joining post and spotted the date, over a year ago from today! time flies....

So... thought it about time to post an update and a couple of new photos:

Now I have got all the electrics working just fine. All lights work now that some actually have wires going to them! the handbrake warning light was fun! it was always on, traced that back to the wire being screwed down to earth so it always completed the circuit and lit the light up! the fog wasn't wired at all, the horn wasn't wired, the heater now blows hot air. It no longer leaks water into the foot wells (drain tubes not connected). Got lucky with a set of wheel and new tyres so they are on for the moment. Water temp gauge never worked, The sender had failed. Getting that out was a nightmare... but thats now done and the gauge works perfectly. New stat thrown in for good measure. Found new old stock and got lucky with new gearknob, transfer knob & pedal rubbers. Engine mounts were missing bolts each side originally :O and the stink of petrol was from three leaking hoses while I was fitting new engine mount bolts was sending me high!!

Changed the cambelt, adjusted the valve gaps, reset the timing (all were out) water pump had failed and over heated quickly so a new pump went on. Replaced the leaking rad, changed the HT leads, cap, rotor, plugs and gave a service. Servo was leaking air, got that sorted, the wipers just span on the shafts and the wiper blades fell off the arms! the Tick over was more of a pain than I expected to sort. I've had that carb off and changed jets, altered float heights and replaced all the gaskets. After too much time spent experimenting with different set ups I am now real pleased to say she is starting perfectly hot and cold, idling smack on 850 and responds well to a sharp stab on the gas pedal. The emissions are within tolerance, now there's no air leaks between the carb and manifold and the jets are right the reverse mounted Weber seems to be spot on for the moment.

Just arrived four new springs, (stock height ones). New standard shackles & poly bush kit so I can get the suspension sorted at last, two leafs bent downwards and the other two are flat. The Sammy came with a new hi steer kit in bits, that's a priority to fit!! trouble is its one ball joint missing :-(, its a hi steer kit from http://www.worcester-technologies.com/r ... _steer.htm e-mails bounce back undelivered from them :-( so I have to figure what ball joint its using....?? New set of discs and pads can go on at the same time.

So, finally.... the target of getting her on the road properly is getting close. Here's her current state:

I'll do another update in another year ;-)

ROBBIE

Post by ROBBIE » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:23 pm

hi good to see you kept with it :mrgreen: its a realy nice lookin anus all the had work was worth it. if your sellin the d-flex shackles let me know how much, im thinking about putting a pair on my rear springs cheers
robbie
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:15 pm

Wow, what a nice SJ I'm glad you almost have it sorted! I must say the old style wingmirrors really suit the new body, have you got a date in mind for the mot? It will be nice to see it finally on the road,

Oh and that fog light, are all the new body's the same i like it up there freelander esk,

luke

martynf
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by martynf » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:45 pm

Thanks guys!

The mot soon as possible really. The only thing it needs for sure before an MOT is the leaf springs fitted all round, hi-steer fitted and new front pads and discs. That I know of, there is nothing else (other than align the headlamps - and get the tracking done after the hi steer is fitted) that she needs.

The biggest obstacle to overcome right now is getting a jack with enough lift to raise her high enough in the air to get tall axle stands under the chassis!! have you seen how high the thing is off the deck!! :lol:

The fog light is in the right hand rear tail light in the bumper :-), shes got one reverse light on the left and fog on the right, that's a high level brake light lurking up there 8-) which, wasn't wired at all!! but works ok now :-)

Cheers!!
Martyn