handbrake adjustment

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
sj j
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

handbrake adjustment

Post by sj j » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:52 pm

I know there is a thread here somewhere with some helpful pics showing how to adjust 410 handbrake at the transfer box.Any one point me in the right direction? :thumbup:

Darrell
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Re: handbrake adjustment

Post by Darrell » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:35 pm

Do you mean this one :S
http://www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk/phpBB3/ph ... =14&t=2793" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

Edweird

Post by Edweird » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:39 pm

When you say adjust, d'you just want to move the pads closer to the drum so the lever doesn't come up as far?
There's three ways of doing things:

The right way,
The wrong way
And my way, which is like the wrong way but faster.

sj j
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by sj j » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:48 pm

Yes hill starts are getting a bit hairy! Lever comes up nearly 90 degrees :shock:

Darell,thats not the thread i was looking for. the one i'm thinking of has actual photos and step by step guide for non mechanics like me.

Edweird

Post by Edweird » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:02 pm

Okay, when you're underneath, you want to have a look at the drum face (the exposed side nearer the back of the vehicle) and you should be able the spy a hole about half an inch diameter.

If you lift the back wheels up and put your truck on axle stands with the handbrake off (might want chocks at the front wheels if you're not on a flat surface) so you can turn the drum freely with your hands, that's the easiest way I can see. I did it with four on the floor in my garage moving the whole truck by hand from underneath using my feet as chocks. :lol: Get yourself a lead lamp or torch and have a spy through the hole. At about 4 and 6 o'clock roughly you should some toothed gear looking things from the side.
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (42.39 KiB) Viewed 4075 times
You want to get yourself a flat screwdriver and stick it through the hole and turn the gear things. These steadily screw the pads closer to or further from the drum when the lever's released. I'm afraid I can't remember which way you turn them, but when I did it myself I soon worked it out.

I set mine so that they were as close as I could get them without them actually touching the drum, so I'd suggest winding one pad out until the drum won't turn, then slowly backing it off until it'll just turn freely again, then doing the same for the other one. I also checked both again after the initial setting, but I think that was unnecessary.

Hope that's helpful.
There's three ways of doing things:

The right way,
The wrong way
And my way, which is like the wrong way but faster.