Zuk on 38's

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
TanZuk
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Zuk on 38's

Post by TanZuk » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:06 am

Changed direction on the DS Radiator support bracket.

The size of the bracket was bugging me. This led me to a redesign of the bracket. Decided to cut an 1” off the length to make it resemble the stock bracket. There needed to be 2 relief holes cut in for the FJ box bolts. It was then capped off at the top for a cleaner look.

Always try and stay flexible with your designs. There is nothing wrong with making something better. Even though you have to remake something.

Reminder of 1st Bracket

Here is the revised version

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:24 pm

everything looks like a real snug fit in that area! :thumbup:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

TanZuk
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by TanZuk » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:21 am

Hey Scott,

Thanks for stopping in and keeping some life in the thread. :doublethumbs:

I have several of these threads going just to get some input of something that was over looked or a better approach on the design. This has been useful because there have been a couple of things that were done after a friendly exchange of ideas. Unfortunately there always seem to be a lot of participation then it falls off.

From what I have been told is that it is too technical and the documentations answers questions that may come up. They seem to enjoy reading the thread just to see the different things going on.

Anyway, yes… that DS Outer Rail has been quite a snug fit for all the components. The Inside Rail was not as bad but there was a few things that needed to be remade because of the relocation from the original parts locations.

Working on the PS rail now not quite as bad but I have to go through the same process minus the steering.

Thanks for the look see how things are going. :hands: :thumbup:

TanZuk
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by TanZuk » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:09 pm

PS Box rail and Bracket updates

sam16v
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by sam16v » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:42 pm

amazing build! can tell this is a real labour of love, going to be a shame to get it all dirty at the end of it. keep up the good work mate.

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:48 pm

TanZuk wrote:Hey Scott,

Thanks for stopping in and keeping some life in the thread. :doublethumbs:

I have several of these threads going just to get some input of something that was over looked or a better approach on the design. This has been useful because there have been a couple of things that were done after a friendly exchange of ideas. Unfortunately there always seem to be a lot of participation then it falls off.

From what I have been told is that it is too technical and the documentations answers questions that may come up. They seem to enjoy reading the thread just to see the different things going on.
Hey Terry,
I have to agree with you, this is a fantastic build thread but it is so much more than I could ever do, I'd love to comment but I know very little about scratch building like this, If you want to talk about Nuts and bolts meccano style building I can talk about my experiences but fabrication like this takes real skill and it is so over and above what I'd ever be able to accomplish. Keep the updates coming we are all waiting with baited breath!
I do have a question about the rosette welding, what is it? and why would you choose it over fitting a 'slug' into the chassis section?

TanZuk
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by TanZuk » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:45 pm

Hi Tramp,

Good question on the Rosette Welds. This is used when you are welding a long plate in place. If you only weld it from the outer surfaces this will not give you a completely seated plate. It will tend to want to pull away in the center.

I use a 3/4 hole and pop one in every 3". These holes are then welded in place keeping the center of the plate in place for a better structually seated plate. Particularly if you are going to use it as a platform to weld other things to it. I like to completely fill the hole for a stronger bite.

If I need to run bolts through a hole all the way through the frame. The use of a sleeve welded in place and also using a plate this keeps the frame from collapsing. Such as the bolts for the steering box.

TanZuk
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by TanZuk » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:51 pm

sam16v wrote:amazing build! can tell this is a real labour of love, going to be a shame to get it all dirty at the end of it. keep up the good work mate.

Thanks for the support. :doublethumbs: Don't think that it will ever get really dirty and messed up because it will be mostly used for the street.

How ever I will have to put it through some heavy testing when it is completed to make sure it is all good.

donkeychomp
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by donkeychomp » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:44 pm

One word...stunning.

Alex
If it ticks over...leave it

TanZuk
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by TanZuk » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:18 pm

donkeychomp wrote:One word...stunning.

Alex

Alex thanks for checking out the build. Sounds like you have enjoyed the experience :doublethumbs:

Terry