Zuk on 38's

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
donkeychomp
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Zuk on 38's

Post by donkeychomp » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:50 pm

Are those Suzuki GSXR carbs? Fantastic build matey bet you can't wait to drive her! Whereabouts in Fla are you? I used to live in Orlando.

Alex
If it ticks over...leave it

TanZuk
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by TanZuk » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:08 pm

Hi Alex,

Live in Pompano Beach

You are close with the carb guess. These are the GSXF from a 600 Suzuki Katana. The GSXF carbs have the thottle pull location in the center of the carbs.

Thanks for taking a look at the thread and the compliment

Terry

TanZuk
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by TanZuk » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:39 am

If you liked what's in this build take a look at my new thread

http://forum.suzukiclubuk.co.uk/vi ... 920ca25b1/

TanZuk
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by TanZuk » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:11 pm

Haven't had an update for awhile, here is what is going on.

Well it is definitely getting hot, gets over 100 degrees in the shop at noon time. I get over there around 7AM and out by 11 AM.

Just getting all the odds and ends made, hooked up and working properly. This tends to take a long time because there is so much stuff to try and put in a little engine compartment.

Got the motor running (Still need an exhaust before the final tuning is done)

Needed to make a carb throttle cable to connect to the corrected ratio linkage that was made for the bike carbs.

Carb throttle cable was made from the stock Zuk carb cable. It was shortened up quite a bit, got rid of the black plastic firewall cable holder. Replaced it with an aluminum screw in adapter. All fitted behind the Dizzy.

Got the clutch cable and clutch working. Used the Center Force clutch this time and it seems to have a much different adjustment procedure from what I have been use to doing.

Had a bit of an issue with the new tail shaft bushing that was replaced when rebuilding the trans. I have always checked to make sure the intermediate shaft fit the bushing before and after installation. The shaft was packed away up in the loft and since there had never been an issue in the past it was not double checked this time.

Yes, if you are thinking it didn’t go in. I new that I was not going to pull the trans out just for that. The shaft needed to have about .002” polished off the OD and it now fits. This did take quite a while, used a micrometer to make sure the material was taken off equally.

Got the TCG in from the UK the other day. Went with the 6.1’s with the 24% lower high gear reduction since this Rig will have mostly stop light to stop light driving. Cleaning up the spare Transfer Case now. Need to order some more parts from lowrange in a couple of week’s.
(need to stay in monthly build budget)

Made some more shiny stuff for the engine compartment.

No pics for awhile just doing the odds and ends now.

TanZuk
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by TanZuk » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:49 pm

Completed the rough cleaning process on the transfer case before disassembly. The case was disassembled and the old parts were inspected before ordering anything new. There were quite a few other parts that were showing wear. Decided to replace these parts because of the extra weight and the tire size on the Rig.

The 2 lager cases needed to be clearanced to fit the new larger 6.1 center gear. This was done by setting a housing up on the mill and swing a consistent radius to a specific depth.

This seemed a better idea then using a hand grinder. There was about ¼” US taken off one side at a ½” US depth. :shock: :brows:

:thumbup: (Let me know if you want to see the case clearance procedure). :thumbup:

BTW:
The rusty 6.1 gears that RS Manufacturing :rhinohump: sent were taken care of by neutralizing the rust. This was a long process not perfect but they look much better now.

TanZuk
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by TanZuk » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:54 am

Decided to just go ahead and post some pics for the lookers since there was no responce to my question.

Wanted to show the TCG after a couple of weeks of soaking and some elbow grease to try and get rid of the rust that was on the gears when I received them.

With Rust pics

Cleaned up gears

Chose to go this route rather then deal with Rob's attitude at RS Manufacturing. If I didn’t think that I needed these specific gears they would have been sent back.

TanZuk
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by TanZuk » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:56 am

Purchased the UK 6.1 Transfer Case Gears

Thought I would share some info on the 6.1 Transfer Case gears with the 24% high gear reduction since there doesn’t seem to be any reference info to be found.

Wanted to purchase the 8.1 TCG with the 24% High Gear Reduction unfortunately they were not available for 2 years. Ended up with the 6.1 instead and had the same high gear reduction as the 8.1 TCG.

The not so good:

These particular gear sets are only offered in the UK and shipping is pricey. There is very little info provided from the manufacturer on the gears and there are no installation instructions provided to show the clearance procedure. You will need to purchase a complete rebuild kit from one of the venders because you only get the gear set, gaskets and some squashed seals. These gears will probably show up with surface rust on them because of environmental conditions in the UK.

Clearance the housings::

The 6.1 Countershaft Gear is a bit larger then the Trail Gear 6.5 Countershaft Gear. There is a need to clearance the case for the gear to fit.

The Mill was the tool of choice used for these reasons:
Maintaining a consistent radius to a determined depth.
Large amount of material being removed.
Thin walls after machining.

( There was about 3/16” removed from the side wall and about a ½” depth. This gave about a .050 clearance all the way around on the machined surfaces.)

Here are the housings being machined for the Gear.

Short Housing Pics.

TanZuk
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by TanZuk » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:58 am

Large Housing Pics

The break through hole will be taken care of with a set screw with thread sealer theaded in from the opposite side. Yes if your thinking that is very close. Took it to the limit to not weaken the housing or cause an outer break through.

Going to be using a Zor Snatch to strengthen the unit and will help with the extra material that has been removed from the housings.

TanZuk
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by TanZuk » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:00 pm

Fitting the ZOR Snatch

This is my second ZOR Snatch and did the wrestling match trying to get the bolts in on the 1st one. Hopefully you decided to get one when you are doing a gear replacement. This makes it much easier.

Here are a couple of steps that may make it much more enjoyable to install the ZOR Snatch on the case. This is a trial fitting and will need to be removed to install the gears.

TanZuk
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by TanZuk » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:01 pm

Dual Pass Aluminum 15” Finned power steering cooler mounted to the under side of the stock round cross member.