Help! Oil leak....

Not covered by any of categories below, want a winch or need to buy some recovery gear then your question goes in here!

You will also find online parts catalogues, Service manuals and a other useful info here.
Zachteamsj
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Help! Oil leak....

Post by Zachteamsj » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:32 pm

Hello all,
I'm new to this forum, and only been in the sj scene a couple of months... Already had a couple of the little beasts though! Love them!

Right, I have an oil leak, and after a quick inspection it's coming from the rear end of the sump - so my first guess would be sump gasket, but after explaining where the oil was coming from to a friend of mine, he seemed to think it could be the rear crank seal...
The car has done 84000 miles, only had a little bit of welding done, so it doesn't look to me like it's hard too harder life!
Has anyone an oil leak in this area before, and what was it? What's the most common leak in this area for the sj?
Also the oil probably leaks out over 3/4 weeks to give you a rough idea of the size of the leak.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: Help! Oil leak....

Post by Jordi » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:37 pm

Dizzy housing o ring?

Mine was leaking. Whipped it off. Loadsa liquid gasket and away we went again.

Cheers
Jordi
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Zachteamsj
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Zachteamsj » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:31 pm

Thanks jordi, I'll have a good look at that now!

Zachteamsj
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Zachteamsj » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:06 pm

Seems to be dry and pretty clean around the dizzy and the surrounding area... :( any other ideas before I start dismantling? :)