wheel bearings!!

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
dan
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

wheel bearings!!

Post by dan » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:34 pm

hi everyone I changed my front wheel bearings tonight (getting soaked in the process :P ) and did everything up properly - not too tight, not too loose - then went out for a road test. good news is i'm not swerving into the kerb every time I push the brake now, but it's still making that damn droning noise from the nearside front wheel! :evil: any thoughts why this is happening? another bearing somewhere in the axle maybe? thanks in advance

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Re: wheel bearings!!

Post by Henry » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:50 pm

Have you got FWH?

What bearings did you change. I know there are a few on each side of the axle.

dan
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by dan » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:44 am

yep i've got fwh. I changed the 4 taper bearings in the hubs. the only others I can think of are the kingpin bearings but they're ok

carnut
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by carnut » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:17 am

have you tried swopping the tyres around!. ive seen directionals on backwards,, they will drone. only other thing is axle bearings..

dan
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by dan » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:29 am

cool thanks for replies. I've just put some new tyres on, the noise was there before the new tyres. how do I get at the axle bearings? I have a spare front axle so i'll hopefully be able to use bits from that

bourneyo
The Boss
The Boss

Post by bourneyo » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:30 am

There are no axle bearings!

there are the two taper bearings in the hub, then your CV joint, and then the drive shaft to your diff. the king pin bearings are at the top and bottom of the steering knuckle so shouldnt cause the drone.

Dan 8-)
http://www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk the new home for your suzuki sj

Kirkynut
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Kirkynut » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:15 pm

did you check the races that the bearings run in and change them if necessary. If the old wheel bearings in the hub were shot, it's probable the races they ran in have been damaged and will quckly ruin your nice new wheel bearings and could be responsible for the droning as that is what could well be happening.

I know not everyone does, however, you should change the races with the bearings, they are manufactured to fit each other. People don't as you have to knock the old ones out carefully, not damaging the hub in the process. It's a pain but hey, it's really gotta be done.

Hope this helps.

Kirky

dan
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by dan » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:36 pm

yeah I changed the races along with the bearings, do a job properly and all that :mrgreen: I stripped down the fwh this morning and it appears to be shot. would this cause the drony grindy noise?

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Henry » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:54 pm

Yes. Take it off, then go for a drive...

Henry

dan
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by dan » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:53 pm

hehehe. took it for a drive after I removed the hub, noise still there... it's the diff. where can i get a new front diff from?