SJ Gearbox Overhaul

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
HuwJones
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

SJ Gearbox Overhaul

Post by HuwJones » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:54 pm

Hi.
First off, I’m 18 and had a Vauxhall Astravan which I loved, nice to drive and very comfortable. Then the insurance went up (Even though I had no accidents or claims!!)
So, it had to go. Luckily about the same the brother of my Boss was selling his SJ 410. The insurance was "only" £852 compared to the £2027 for the van! It currently has a MOT and i'm only planning on using it to go to and from work (with the rare play day with the guys from work with their landys and a pajero)
It does have a few problems, some I have sorted but I need help with some others.
The biggest problem is gearbox. It is a 5 speed Jap and when I select 3rd or 5th there is an odd noise that can only be described like the noise you get when the radio hasn't found a signal (static). I have been told by a guy ar work that it is more or likely a worn bush or bearing in the gearbox.
What i was planning on doing was finding another 5 speed box, refurbish it then put it in the SJ. So my question is, where can / can you, get the bushes, bearings and seals to refurbish the gearbox. I had a look on ebay but found nothing.
Thanks
Huw Jones
There's three ways of doing things,
1) The Right Way,
2) The Wrong Way
3) My Way.
2 & 3 are usually the same.

dazerede
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Re: SJ Gearbox Overhaul

Post by dazerede » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:59 pm

Welcome to scuk I have a 5 speed box in my 410 aswell 5 speed boxes for a 1litre are rare u can probably pick up a 4 speed box for pennies that what I would do

Post some pics of ur motor
Suzuki Sj 410 Jap Built
Recaro Seats Fitted
Landini Blue Colour
Full rollcage and winch bumper
1.6 8v vitara lump with su carb
4” calmini lift kit :)
235/75/15 insa turbo special tracks
99.9% Rust Free
BUILT NOT BOUGHT

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by dan_2k_uk » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:26 am

:welcome:

There is a guide in the DIY section.

Guess you could get bearings from any supplier.

Maybe main dealer for other bits.

http://www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk/diy/16-tr ... build-tips
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

Boyes
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Boyes » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:51 pm

Welcome,

I just by chance happen to have a 410 5 speed box for sale :brows: worked fine when fitted to my SJ and was nice and smooth, dependant on your location i'm in Sheffield J30 M1.

Bearings can be had from many places, and some bushes will be generic sizes if daryll on here has a diagram of a 410 gearbox!

HuwJones
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by HuwJones » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:52 pm

Here are some photos of 'Tonka' (named by my co-workers, re-enforced by my eBay purchase!)

As far as i know, it has a 2 inch shackle lift and a home-made cover. It was originally a soft top and one of the previous owner decided he didn't want to fork out for the expensive replacement soft-top. So he got a few sheets of plywood and made what you see. I have to say it is well made too! It also had some Cobra bucket seats, which i think are very comfortable!
He obviously cared about the important bits, there is a good service history going back 8 years. He even waxoyled the chassis, which means from what i can see it's in very good condition.
Starts up first time no problems. Hopefully over the next few weeks i'll sort out the rust and the small jobs.
It has aluminium check plate sills and interior door cards! This is the current list of things i'd like to do.
1) Brake pipe on rear axle a bit naff, needs replacing.
2) Handbrake really needs adjusting!
3) Deal with all of the rust patches.
4) Indicator stalk needs sorting out, the headlights won't turn off without having to remove fuse.
5) Service, replace oils in engine, gearbox, transfer boxes and diffs.
6) Find a drivers side window winding mech. The previous owner welded a tap onto the splines to use as a handle :evil:
7) A way of locking the spare wheel in place.
8) Spotlamps (ex 1982 Scirocco Mk2) on the bumper to use as 'Running lamps'
9) Sometime in the future (year or two) a re-spray into Nato green is called, i thinkg that is the best color you can get for 4x4s!
Thanks for all of the advice about the bearings, but who are the suppliers? A search on goodle didn't turn up any results (or was it just me searching for the wrong things?)
Also, anybody wouldn't happen to have a spare indicator stalk in that 'box of bits' in the garage that they are willing to part with?
I had a look on google but found no body that supplied them and no luck on ebay.

Thanks for the friendly welcome :)

Huw
There's three ways of doing things,
1) The Right Way,
2) The Wrong Way
3) My Way.
2 & 3 are usually the same.

Darrell

Post by Darrell » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:31 pm

Welcome to the club :doublethumbs:

Attachments
IMG_2759_zps83149074.jpg
IMG_2759_zps83149074.jpg (7.4 KiB) Viewed 5396 times
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:37 pm

Have a look in the "Breaking" forum... steve green has just advertised a 5spd 410 box there
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."