new sj owner

New to SCUK.co.uk? say hello, give us an idea of who you are, and show us a pic of your pride and joy. were friendly and wont bite!
dazerede
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Re: new sj owner

Post by dazerede » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:46 pm

I wouldn't buy it as it has a 1.7 lump in it and personally it has spoa which 70 % of the time isn't don't right
Ny cousins mate bought it like a 2 years ago for about 1grand with no mot or tax
Suzuki Sj 410 Jap Built
Recaro Seats Fitted
Landini Blue Colour
Full rollcage and winch bumper
1.6 8v vitara lump with su carb
4” calmini lift kit :)
235/75/15 insa turbo special tracks
99.9% Rust Free
BUILT NOT BOUGHT

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:51 pm

:welcome: to :suzuki: club Uk I remember that SJ of Difflock.

Looks like a good intro into SJs, I would recommend loosing the lift shackles though, looks like you could easily run those tyres without them and it will drive a lot better :thumbup:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:57 pm

Each to their own when it comes to suspension and engine setup.

It looks well and generally SPOA will give more articulation as having the axle under the spring gives more leverage against it. If done badly it kills springs though with axle wrap and twisting. Makes them pretty tall too.

1.7td is a very common swap. Fairly bullet proof engines with bags of torque for a 4x4 this size. Good for wading too. Only down side is the weight.

That truck looks pretty neat to me. I wouldn't buy it as it's not set up for what i do and mine is my daily drive / work car. When you buy a modded Zuk a lot of people do a lot of things different.

As you use it you'll change it to suit your needs. Anything you're unsure about or need info on stick a post up and we'll do our best to help you out. I'd just get it running well and get out in it.

I'd also put more pics up!
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

kernow_joe
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by kernow_joe » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:00 pm

I bought it as it has the 1.7td conversion, I am a big diesel fan though :)

I've read a few things about the spoa and not being done so well, and this one it could be better.

Sounds like the guy I bought it off, Marcus? and same condition I bought it in, no tax and mot still registered as 1300 petrol on v5,

whats the issue with shackles? seem to have read mixed reviews

@jordi thats my plan get it running and play, then decide which way to go. engine is very bullet proof the amount of water in the snorkel when I picked it up and its fine

dazerede

Post by dazerede » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:00 pm

The chap that had it on difflock was called mitchy1
When I saw it on eBay the white bumpers looked green on the eBay pics

Ye I would lose them shackles
It looks alright have u driven it yet I think it has a 1.0 transferbox
Suzuki Sj 410 Jap Built
Recaro Seats Fitted
Landini Blue Colour
99.9% Rust Free
BUILT NOT BOUGHT

dazerede

Post by dazerede » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:04 pm

take them shackles off at the front of the sj where the springs attach the chassis and do the same as the rear
put original ones on
this makes the springs last longer
Suzuki Sj 410 Jap Built
Recaro Seats Fitted
Landini Blue Colour
99.9% Rust Free
BUILT NOT BOUGHT

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:10 pm

On standard suspension setup lift shackles cock up the castor angle and you end up with diffs pointing in all angles. It also puts additional stress on the springs as they are designed to sit at a certain angle.

Quite often see very flat or even inverted springs on SJs with lift shackles.

Depends how that lift has been done. You probably don't know what springs they are?

Depending on how it's been done, i'll be corrected if i'm wrong, the lift shackles could also be to correct castor if the diff was nose down.

I could probably run a small lift shackle to improve mine a bit but its running fine so i'm leaving it alone.

If you can take a load of photos on the underside too.

Like Scott says, they don't looks neccessary. Previous owner/s may have had them on standard springs for a little lift. Then when the SPOA'd it just put them back on as thats what they had to hand.

Only good thing about diesels is if its off road only you can run it on cherry!
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:21 pm

The thing that I don't like about lift shackles when combined with standard length springs is that they steepen the shackle angle and this stiffens the suspension.

They also allow more lateral movement allowing the axle to move from side to side more while steering making it feel quite vague.

There are benefits to using longer shackles when combined with longer springs like YJ springs etc but the negatives really outweigh the benefits with standard length springs like you are running.

This being said there's no harm in running some that are slightly longer with stock springs, say 25mm (stock are 70mm between bolt centres) but any longer than that and they just reduce your approach and departure angles and start to mess up caster and UJ angles as well as the negatives I mentioned above.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

kernow_joe
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by kernow_joe » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:25 pm

its got 1.0 transfer box and I've got a 1.3 transfer box spare,
nope not driven it yet, literally off the trailer, hopefully get all the fuel lines replaced and brake lines checked/replaced over on the weekend may even get time to drive it.

a same guy I think, yeah it was getting a bit green, but luckily all pretty rot free

from internet stalking found it has 2 inch lift springs, don't know anymore than that, and quote from previos previous owner
oh and another thing spoa is not bad at all with those tyres on her with spoa and lift springs and shackles she handles very very well on road. i pointed the rear diff up a tad but kept the front the standard and none of my props bind or nothing.
previous owners thread on difflock
http://forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php ... highlight=

dazerede

Post by dazerede » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:27 pm

My cousins mate bought it of this chap name is michy1 on diffflock and then had it for a while it looks
Last edited by dazerede on Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suzuki Sj 410 Jap Built
Recaro Seats Fitted
Landini Blue Colour
99.9% Rust Free
BUILT NOT BOUGHT