carb icing?

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
jutwit
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

carb icing?

Post by jutwit » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:24 am

hi guys, i was driving yesterday and i started to gradually lose power, to the point that it wouldnt do more than 20 mph and it felt like it was missing a bloody lot, it was raining hard and it was about 5 degrees, pulled over it cut out, so i wd40 it, started no problem and off i go, 2 miles later same happens again, and so on for every 2 miles, i stopped putting wd40 on when it cuts out give it 2 min and off she goes agin but only for about 2 miles again. one of the guys in the club reckons its carb icing and the same happened to him years ago when he bought an sj brand new and he didnt push that lever to winter setting on the air intake. i put a snorkel on mine in the summer so no longer have that lever to get warm air from the manifold, had no problems with the snorkel since fitting. so could it be carb icing? any ideas how to stop it if it is? i think there is a petrol additive that stops it but dont know what its called. any ideas ?

bourneyo
The Boss
The Boss

Re: carb icing?

Post by bourneyo » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:11 am

what carb are you using? if you run a SU you may wana take a look at THIS heated manifold adapter.

Dan 8-)
http://www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk the new home for your suzuki sj

carnut
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by carnut » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:27 am

Like dan said...OR
if your still useing the standard carb, its unlikly its iceing,,, it could be,,,,
coil/condensor packing up,, windings in the coil break down when overheated, cool then starts. or fuel pump, or crap in the carb, or i had the same thing years ago on a austin metro. drive about mile it would stop, etc etc. That turned out to be a crack in the inlet manifold!!
andy

ferris
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by ferris » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:41 pm

I had pretty much exactly the same problem today. It would drive ok for a few miles then start miss firing realy bad (not to good going up the m4 at 25mph :P ) but then i would pull over, leave it for 30 seconds and it would be fine again. Happend about 5 o r6 times on the way to work, and the same on the way home :roll:

I got a new dizzy cap after work and it seems to be ok now. Although wont be sure untill i try it again tomorrow.
86 SJ413 tin top, 1.6 8v, SU carb, YJ spring conversion, virtual lift, 33x12.5x15 KL71's, rocklobster, rear discs, power steering.

jutwit
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by jutwit » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:47 pm

not sure what carb i got on there, was in a breakers yard and saw what i thought was a suzuki one brought it home and it was only slightly differant, so chucked it on about may this year, and its been great, untill sunday. i took the anus for a run today again, and the same happened as before, except this time when i restarted it after cutting out it would idle great but every time i gave it a bit of gas it would either cut out or misfre and not have enough power to pull off, let it idle for 5 min and way to go for another couple of miles and then deva ju all over again.

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Henry » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:32 pm

Sounds like classic icing, however a pic of the carb would be good.

Does not sound to be a su if it was a easy bolt on job.

jutwit
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by jutwit » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:57 am

def not an su. it looks exacly like the aisin one that came off it apart from a white plastic idle adjustment knob on the side.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:07 pm

yep no doubt about it IMO the good old suzuki carb icing issue! you could get some copper pipe and run it off one of the water pipes around the intake a few times just before the carb if you have no hot air feed, that should help.

Scott
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

carnut
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by carnut » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:26 pm

strange??? it dosnt seem cold enough to ice up,, (must be colder were you live), i had a thought, your snorkle, does it face into wind, ie forwards. that would give the efect of ram air. if i were you, disconect it at the carb, then see how she runs!.
andy.

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:44 pm

if your running a weber carb, they can suffer from icing too, originally, the hot air intale runs at 50% meaning half warm air, half cold, when you rip out that hot air feed, you end up running at 100% cold air (or like selecting hot climate on the air box selector) the standard asian carb shouldn't suffer from icing as its heated through the water system, weber's arent, and although the manifold is heated it doesnt stop the carb from icing, the SU is especially prone to icing as the manifold 90degree adaptor is not heated,
this mostly applys to the 1.3 engine as the carb has a downdraft mount, wheras the 410 is sidedraft,

Luke