Samurai Sport 1298cc

New to SCUK.co.uk? say hello, give us an idea of who you are, and show us a pic of your pride and joy. were friendly and wont bite!
Desperate_Dan
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Samurai Sport 1298cc

Post by Desperate_Dan » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:45 pm

Here's a photo.
Looks quite good externally but plenty of rust holes in the floor!
Attachments
resized.jpg
resized.jpg (253.2 KiB) Viewed 8021 times

ferris
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Re: Samurai Sport 1298cc

Post by ferris » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:00 pm

:welcome: Welcome to the club. Does look pretty tidy. Mine has got rust holes in the floor too, there good for letting the water out :lol:
86 SJ413 tin top, 1.6 8v, SU carb, YJ spring conversion, virtual lift, 33x12.5x15 KL71's, rocklobster, rear discs, power steering.

4eye
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by 4eye » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:14 pm

Welcome 8-)

That is a tidy truck :twisted: Ah yes......the dreaded tin worm strikes again :lol: :P :lol: nothing a little mig wont put right 8-)
ITS NOT LEAKING OIL...........SHE'S MARKIN HER TERRITORY!!!!!!!!

my ride.........:4eye:

+2 lift....grizzley boots is all i need!

the fool
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by the fool » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:16 pm

hello :welcome: tidy

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:40 pm

hello, looking really smart, it even look to have the original seat's and mudflaps, I had the rear mudflaps on mine until one fell off through rust and then I had to take the other one off, you cant have just one mudflap!

the only thing that could possibly be wrong with it is the key gaurds on the door lock, I havn't seen an sj with them before and it makes me wonder if someone had tried to break into it at some point? all thought it is entirely possible that somecarful owner has fitted them before you as an accessory,

Luke

Desperate_Dan
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Desperate_Dan » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:49 am

Yes , original seats and a pair for the back. I need to get the carburation sorted to take it for an MOT. I have replaced the discs and pads because these were worn to the metal and seized up . The pistons eventually pushed back with the help of a massive G cramp and 4' long tommy bar! I have replaced the alternator and fuel pump but I don't want to spend a fortune in case the MOT shows up expensive problems. The steering is very vague with quite a bit of play but maybe they are prone to this. Speed bumps are a nightmare because of the narrow track. I like the simplicity and I can recognise all the innards of the engine bay.
If the weather ever warms up I will take the carb off. The concensus of opinion of other owners seems to point to replacement with an SU but I see that others have fitted Webers and Nikkis and ones from Charades and Ponys.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:12 am

On the carb issue my sj is now running on a daihatsu charade carb it is a direct swap but i ended up with sum spare vacuum pipe. I just blocked them off and it was sweet. I was running the hyundai carb which again is a straight swap but after several dunkings at tong it packed up. Both work well but arent great at odd angles and can be a bitch to set up on the plus side it does run even if the timing it 180* out which i found odd.

Im now in the process of fitting an su onto my samurai slightly more work but hopefully a more abke truck as a result.

And while i remember the hyundai carb was super economical talking low 30s to the gallon. Which compared to low 20s on the standard carb was amazing.

Jordi
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Desperate_Dan
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Desperate_Dan » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:38 am

Many thanks for your advice.
I could have done with having the vehicle roadworthy to get around in the snow.

Tramp

Post by Tramp » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:49 pm

sj' are pretty good in the snow, when my carb packed up a traded it in for a weber because the weber came as a complete 'bolt on and forget' kit and i didn't have to bother messing about with jet sizes or anything, off roading wasn't the top priority for me it was reliability,

for your vague steering, some degree of vagueness is always present, but too much can be caused by wear in the steering box, if you look in the engine bay and follow the steering column down you will see it bolted to the left hand chassis leg, you can loosen the nut on the top (the one with a grub screw inside it, the other one is chrome covered plastic and a filler point) and then using a flat blade screw driver you can screw the grub screw down to take up the slack in the box, you want to screw it down enough to take up the slack but not too much as you can over tighten it and cause the mechanism to get 'tight', sometimes its easier to remove the grill to access the steering box,

hope I've helped

Luke

Desperate_Dan
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Desperate_Dan » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:00 pm

I'll do that thanks luke.
I guess everyones found suzukiinfo where you can download workshop manuals?