what to do with my zuk

fitting new seats? welding up arches? Painting your SJ? post your queries here
Ginger_boy
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

what to do with my zuk

Post by Ginger_boy » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:44 am

Well my sammi has been langishing long enough in the garden/carport 18 months plus wife pregnant baby etc all those important stuff so Mot ran out. Now the backnend needs recreating ie rear floor pan inner wheel arches etc the usual stuff.
Now the baby is 1 I think its high time I got him a welding mask and let him get on with the repairs to it I've waited long enough.

So what do I do.

1 repair it has anyone port panels from this companyhttp://autoblechteile.de/Suzuki/Samurai ... :7_54.html.

2 scrap it and sell the good bits. I discount this one myself as I have saved it twice from the scrap man, my wife lernt to drive in it and it bloody good fun off road and does piss on L&R rovers when on tight lanes and forest tracks.

3 Or do this with it which I like although your swapping tin worm of wood wormhttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121308437017? ... 423.l2648/

any ideas :er:
It' a 4x4 why not drive it across a field

RickUK
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow
Location: Not sure me Tom Tom is bust,but it could be North of Watford Gap.Could be Bedfordshire though.

Re: what to do with my zuk

Post by RickUK » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:05 am

Those wooden kits in theory sound nice and easy to build but in reality its not that easy,i even went down that avenue of building a kit car using a old Sierra as a doner car,i had high hopes and all that but it sat on the drive for about 3 years and getting plenty of grief from the wife it finally went in the crusher.

Bringing the part in from Germany i would have thought could have been expensive and time consuming.

Not sure how bad the motor is rust wise but if its OK then prehaps have a go and rebuild the current one,you may get more for breaking it but then having all the spare bits lying around with a kid around could be another nightmare.

When i got rid of my SJ last year it did have alot of rust on it,as i did not have any equipment to do the welding etc it was one step away from the crusher,but someone knocked on my door one day and made me a crazy high offer that we concluded a deal straight away.

Good luck with what ever option you choose.
Deceased.
SJ413 tinwormed to the great car grave yard in the sky.
Vitara LWB V6 engine deceased and also in the great grave yard in the sky.
www.hideones.info www.hideones.info
Current wheels.
BMW X5 Le Mans 3.0turbo diesel.
Looking for a newish Suzuki Jimny.

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:32 am

A floor pan and wheel arches don't sound too bad, but I'm sure there will be more lurking.

Don't let it put you off. The weather is warming up. Get the grinder and MIG out, and get it sorted.

You will get frustrated at times, but when it's finished (are they ever?) the sense of achievement you will have, plus the fun of using it off road, will far out weigh your doubts now.

So come on, get cracking!
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:55 am

Sure Mike Harris bought panels off that website and gave good reviews.

I bought a rotten(ish) SJ and have removed the body shell to repair it.
http://forum.suzukiclubuk.co.uk/vi ... =22&t=9397

Just making repair panels from 1.4mm steel sheet.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Ginger_boy
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Ginger_boy » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:37 pm

I suppose another marathon session of cutting grinding and welding can be therapy/ excuse to get out of the house. Unfortunately I'm no stranger to what lurks under those oh so nice carpets on my sammi. When i first got there was 10" of rot in each corner rear floor by the fuel filler pipe missing both inner wheel arches taped with flash banding tape etc etc. It's had alot of welding over the years both sill outer and inner cut out and replaced 50% of the inner wheel arches have been cut out and repaired/ patched. Its all a bit of a waste to break up and scrap as the mechanics are spot on just a shame that Mr Spanish Suzuki didn't make the body work as robust :evil:

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:51 pm

I think I still have an old boot floor but it has had a few ribs nicked to repair my long wheelbase, you are welcome to it to use for repair panels if you want!

Arches are nice and easy to do.......you know you want to pull the welder out!
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

turbo-tom
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by turbo-tom » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:16 pm

Not sure if i would like to build a road going car from wood though! :shock:
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:23 pm

turbo-tom wrote:Not sure if i would like to build a road going car from wood though! :shock:
Morgans are, I'd be happy to have one of those. :D
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

Ginger_boy
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Ginger_boy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:24 pm

The are a lot of classic/vintage cars which are substantial made from wood or have ash timber frames. The beauty of the zuk is that all the real strength is in the chassis. Which is why they have been used as kit cars over the years. http://www.timdutton.com. They look fun no problems wading with one. There is also this http://www.scampmotorcompany.co.uk that would be good as a hill cimber especially with a 1.6 engine :weld: