2002 Grand vitara 3dr soft top airbag light on

All tech relating to the Suzuki Vitara that won't relate to any other models, Front IFS etc.
Ginger_boy
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

2002 Grand vitara 3dr soft top airbag light on

Post by Ginger_boy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:26 pm

Anyone had any experience with gv airbag system? Checked out manual and carried out diagnostic check by earthing out the diagnostic switch terminal and recording the sequence of flashes from the airbag light.
From the code recorded the manual indicates high resistance "Drivers air bag circuit" code 21. So now I'm stuck as any further investigation requires a Suzuki special tool (09932-75010) i have checked the obvious connections etc. I have rest the fault code but light came back on after the ignition was switched. I was wondering if there is a common item that fails, which if changed usual fixes problem. Or am i in the hands of the dealer who won't be that interested in a 12year old car and will just replace everything and charge the earth. :S
It' a 4x4 why not drive it across a field

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: 2002 Grand vitara 3dr soft top airbag light on

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:44 pm

I have the entire airbag system out of a 2000 GV if you need any bits.

What does the special tool do?
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Ginger_boy
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Ginger_boy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:05 pm

The tool is for plugging into the disconnected airbag plug so you can test the SDM for faults with out the fun of them going off when sticking a OHM meter across various terminal to check for resistances. It looks like i have either got a problem with the steering air bag, the contact coil (squib) although horn still works or the SDM. I'm going to go for the (squib) as it seems the only part that has to do anything and could possible wear out.

Ginger_boy
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Ginger_boy » Sat May 03, 2014 11:07 am

Up date on airbag, light now sorted after some pondering over the Suzuki manual and some internet research. Disconnected drivers airbag replaced it with a 3ohm resistor and bingo warning light out all reset. Now the strange thing is i then reconnected the airbag and warning light still out. We'll wait and see if this has been sorted or I've just done a temporary fix on it :D