Engine trouble. Need help urgently!

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
chan
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Engine trouble. Need help urgently!

Post by chan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:42 am

theres not really to much you can do wrong but have a read through your manual and see how capable you think you are about doing it.

there may be someone close to you who could give you a hand from this forum or take it to the garage mate.

yeah probably best to get it all mechanically sound first!

cheers

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:43 am

Just popped into my head, your distributor hasnt been knocked has it?

Not a lot to go wrong doing the gaskets. Again use the haynes. Only problems you may have are seized bolts. Lots of WD40 and good spanners / sockets.

Whilst doing this you can also check pistons, seals overall internal condition. If your not a competent mechanic it may seem daunting but its not too bad. As you dismantle it always a good idea to lable / bag or box items with their bolts so it all goes back together ok. The wrong bolt in the wrong hole can be terminal.

I would compression test first tho this well tell you if you head gaskets knacked. Is a very easy job to do.

Jordi
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

gsommo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by gsommo » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:57 pm

How do i do compression test? Do i need a kit, and if so where would I get one from?

Cheers

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:21 pm

Ebay, machine mart, good motor factors.

Its a dial with a steel tube usually with a rubber bung on the end. Take plugs out and force into each piston one at a time. Turn it over and the dial tells u the pressure in each cylinder. Haynes manual will tell u how much pressure u shud be getting.

Price varies depending on where u go. Mine was £11 off the bay.

Jordi
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:59 pm

First things first fix that leak!!! :mrgreen:

Right from the sound of it you have not got a problem with your headgasket? maybe? does it over heat and blow all the water out? if you take the oil filler cap off is there a thick mayonaise looking substance? (you will usually have a little bit from condensation under the rocker cover) when the vehicle is running take the rad cap off and look for bubbles/smell for ehxhaust fumes. If you have these then yes you might have a blown headgasket so do a compression test, just make sure that all cylinders have similar (+/-10psi) readings if there is 1 or 2 cylinders with completely different readings then your head gasket is gone. I wouldn't worry about checking the haynes for compression readings as it is an old engine and you probably wont get those readings :mrgreen:

I would get someone with a bit more experience to set up your carb as just twiddling the mixture/idle screws until it sounds alright isn't always the best thing to do, unless you have a good bit of experience tuning by ear!

what have you used for the carb gasket? there is a small water channel that runs through the stock carb and if this is not sealed well when an SU is fitted then you could be getting water into the inlet and engine causing a missfire. also could be a leaky inlet manifold gasket letting air in? what jets and spring have you got fitted to the SU? if you dont know what vehicle did it come off and was it running fine before it came off?

sorry bout all the questions but think it might help finds the problem :mrgreen:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:04 pm

Thanks for making me feel thick scottie. Dont know how i missed posting about the emulsion forming.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:09 pm

sorry, just thought i'd add my 2p! i've got suzuki running through me veins me! haha :lol:

oh i forgot a few things, how is your carb set up with regards to the vacuum pipes, fuel inlet, fuel overflow (there is no return fuel feed on an SU) what have you done with the rocker cover breather, is the pcv valve still getting vacuum? can you post some piccies please, might help a wee bit.

cheers

Scott
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:39 pm

Im with you scottie. This is year 11 for me on the zuks. Still can work the damn things.

Its the backfiring on me that i cant get my head round on this chaps issue. Im strongly tempted to put my money on a timing issue. But his carb is bothering me too but im a nebie to the su too. So i cant advise on it.

Im gona drink on it then sleep on it and see if i can think of anything else. Im sure by now he'll be on checking everything.

gsommo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by gsommo » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:07 pm

you guys are a pair of zuk geniuses. I will have to go to the car tomo and check all those things, take some photos and I will post them on here for your information

In repsect to the carb gasket I have 2 gaskets on there that I bought from burlen but I am sure that I am still getting a bit of leakage of fuel through the bottom, I have heard that using vaseline on the gaskets is good, is this true?

I will try my best to get you all the information and pics tomo so that you can maybe help me furher.

Thanks

carnut
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by carnut » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:56 pm

first think i would check,, (if you have a su),, make sure you have the correct oil in the dashpot. sounds silly, but if its to heavy, the piston wont rise.
do a compression test next before you go ripping iy apart.
if there all up 100psi plus across the four thats exeptable to run!!.
if the engine was hunting(revs up and down) you have a air leak somewere, on the su adapter, make sure the gaskets seal on the manifold...

andy.