disc handbrake

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
carnut
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Re: disc handbrake

Post by carnut » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:57 am

Check my last post??? i didnt read it all!!!..

you may have to hire, beg steel etc a puller. that what i used to remove my flanges so i could strip my transfer box..

chan
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by chan » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:31 am

carnut wrote:Check my last post??? i didnt read it all!!!..

you may have to hire, beg steel etc a puller. that what i used to remove my flanges so i could strip my transfer box..
ahh well i will try removing it with the prop shaft first! i have a selection of pully pullers but not sure if the biggest one is big enough!

carnut
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by carnut » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:52 pm

on the rear of the backplate, there are two nuts and opposite two bolts, these hold the adjuster in situ. unbolt these and callapes the brakes??. but i reccon its the drum tight on the splines..

chan
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by chan » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:17 pm

carnut wrote:on the rear of the backplate, there are two nuts and opposite two bolts, these hold the adjuster in situ. unbolt these and callapes the brakes??. but i reccon its the drum tight on the splines..
yeah i think its just the drum ceased onto the splines! was suppose to do it today but it took me 4 hours to get a half shaft out my rear axle as the bearing was completely ceased! i had to make a slide hammer out of an old steering arm and a pair of bike handle bars :lol: after all that it wouldnt budge! i was going to try and yank it out with my range rover but thought it might be overkill :| ended up turning the drum around getting a crowbar about as long as the River Thames on one side then hitting with a sledge hammer the otherside! almost fell of its axle stands the poor thing haha :P.

i will have a look at the handbrake tomorrow when i get the rear axle back together!

if i cant get the drum off the transfer box i will just leave it and use the hand throttle for hill starts haha :x

carnut
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by carnut » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:50 pm

if you cant move it, and havnt got the tools.. i would leave the rear prop off, drive to a local garage and get them to put a puller on it,?? might cost you a drink, but its better than wrecking the drum..

chan
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by chan » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:44 pm

id love to do that mate but it has no seats in it and a bit of wiring and my air box needs to be fitted ect also have no insurance yet! i like to do everything myself so if i cant get it off ill leave it for now until i can take it up the yard and get my gas torch on it. cant even bloody tow it up at the moment with no wheels on the back :|

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:46 pm

I changed my mind about this X-eng handbrake! it used to work fine but now its doing my nut in after destroying another set of pads and not releasing properly!! I am going to try and modify it to make it work better and if i do i'll post the progress!
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

carnut
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by carnut » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:18 pm

ive just gone back to the drum handbrake??. i bought two new handbrake cables for my sammy,, £48 so ill be selling them,, reason is im going to rear disc it.

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Henry » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:11 pm

rear disc all the way.. my handbrake hasnt let me down yet :| :lol: