Prospective Grand V owner...so what do I need to know ?

All tech relating to the Suzuki Vitara that won't relate to any other models, Front IFS etc.
Snowyfox
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Prospective Grand V owner...so what do I need to know ?

Post by Snowyfox » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:21 pm

Hi

I am looking to replace our manual Nissan X-Trail with an autobox SUV, due to damaged knees. I am considering a couple of choices before I go and spend some hard earn clams on another SUV.

Apart from needing an auto I do need something that is a bit tougher than X-Trail, while our aging Xy has been good and has battled a lot it does suffer from low ground clearnce. Having owned various 4x4s including LandRovers and Jeeps, the Nissan was our first SUV, so what to replace it with ? A GV ?

Here is the list of things I need to know, some of which may well be on this forum already, so please let me know where.

Bearing in mind I want an Auto, whats best the best Grand to get, 2.5 or 2.0 ?
As we do go off road including forest trails, how capable is the GV ?
Can the Grands suspension be modified, even a small lift ?
Can the ESP be turned off in snow or muddy conditions above 19 mph ?
Boot space is a major concern, I am having difficulty finding sizes, with rears seat up and seats down, etc. Is there a download or web page that gives this please ?
Relaiblity is an issue and are there any known problems I should be aware of ?

Cheers

Snowyfox

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Prospective Grand V owner...so what do I need to know ?

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:18 am

What age GV are you looking at? I'm more familiar with the older shape 98-2004 and don't know much about the newer ones.

They both use the same engines though so the main thing to look out for is a rattly timing chain/tensioners, this is caused by not using the right engine oil or changing it enough and can be quite an expensive job of it needs doing, especially on the 2.5v6.

I love the j20a 2.0 16v its a brilliant engine with a nice amount of power. The 2.5 v6 is also a nice engine just a bit more thirsty.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Snowyfox
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Snowyfox » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:21 pm

Hi Scottie

That is a good question, thinking of an auto, 2005 on, depends a little on budget of course, but as I am still at the research stage, I have done a bit more digging tonight.

I was doing research on a couple of the offroad forums for a more offroad worthy at the weekend, if that is the right phrase, SUV and the Suzuki Grand was mentioned several times. In part because of the fact that unlike a lot of SUVs the GV retains a low box and center diff http://www.suzuguide.com/suzuki-445.html

Found this link for free pdf downloads, american spec. though, no need for any sign up or torrent :
http://www.auto-brochures.com/suzuki.html

This one is various downloads, though more up your street I think :
http://www.suzukiinfo.com/

Got some info on the ESP and snow :
http://www.suzuguide.com/suzuki-447.html and in action http://youtu.be/Zy8jocfu0bg

Not known for it's articulation like all SUVs, the GV will still give it ago :
http://youtu.be/y2L1tyE6hkI and a nice controlled climb
http://youtu.be/daJH_WoHpeo

So far definetly a contender.....

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:56 pm

My wife had a 2.0 16v petrol, manual 55 reg Lwb gv, it was good throughout her ownership - even if it was just a Chelsea tractor! The engine was always fantastic, the only few quibbles we had with it was that when on the motorway it seed a little under geared and was always busy, it felt like it could have done with a 6th gear, other than that no issues other than the expected petrol thirst, and a small middle seat in the back. I'd certainly recommend one for the family hack. I don't know about the auto option and how it effects the gearing also it's worth bearing in mind that it's only the LWB's that have the low box, it wasn't availabe on the SWB's

Ps I should also add that it was fantastic in the snow - as would be expected

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here

Post by dan_2k_uk » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:12 pm

I love our 54 plate LWB GV.

Luke (Tramp) has pretty much summed it up.

I'm about to try some slightly taller tyres to try fix the motorway gearing.

No input on the Auto option though I have heard good things about them.
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:27 pm

So I take it they ain't three speed boxes then... :hahaha:
If it ticks over...leave it

Jay18
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by Jay18 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:44 pm

I've got the auto 2.0 16v and can't complain at all, plenty of power and cruises at 70 nicely, ahem and 80, only one problem I have now found with mine is the timing chain rattle, just wandering if I should do it myself outside the house or take it to suzuki and have it done by them, I've seen the kit is best part of £200 alone before even paying anyone to do it let alone suzuki's price..

Not sure if I want to start stripping it down to accidentally break something and have no car for a few days :/
2003 Grand Vitara 2.0 16v
16x7 Black 8 spokes
Nexen road tyres
32mm spacers
Kenwood Double Din Head Unit
Hidden CB radio
Cruise Control
GV Build Thread

SJ Build Thread
Facebook

YouTube
SuzukiPicsUK on Instagram

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:33 pm

Results of my tyre size gearing change I just posted in another thread but is relevant here too.

Before

After

There is a very very slight rub at full lock. Its dark so I haven't investigated yet but it sounds like its just a flimsy bit of plastic.

They have changed the gearing nicely. May not be good for towing but we don't tow so that's not a problem.

Ride is slightly improved by the higher sidewall but probably at a slight cost in cornering but its not really meant for hooning it round tarmac corners anyway.

Feels a little more like a 4x4 and a little less like an estate car. Surprisingly the slight increase in ride height was actually noticeable from inside the cabin.

Here are the all important stats. All measured by eye from the dash and GPS on a phone so not going to brilliantly accurate.

235/60/16s

GPS 70mph --- Dash 73-74mph --- 3.5k rpm

Dash 70mph --- GPS 73-74mph --- 3.4k rpm

235/70/16s

GPS 70mph --- Dash 68-69 --- 3.3k rpm

Dash 70mph --- GPS 71-72mph --- 3.4k rpm

So to achieve the same speed of a GPS 70mph it drops the rpm from 3,500 rpm to 3,300 rpm. Loads quieter, less work for the engine, and hopefulyl save a little fuel although that will probably be negated by the extra rolling resistance of the tyres being ATs.

Main plus point --- The way it looks, So glad to be rid of those steels!! :D

Snowyfox
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Snowyfox » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:58 pm

Hi Dan thanks for that. What is the largest tyre size on stock rims for the 2005 on ? I would be running an AT tyre.

I would suggest to get a more accurate reading of rpm you could use an OBDII connector if your GV has one. Some software and apps should be able to give more information.

Most modern GPS are accurate enough for speed reading of course, even allowing for a small margin of error on your speedo, figures should be constant. You probably know this but don't forget to tell your insurance company.

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:01 pm

Hi. I'm happy with my unscientific looking at the dash method for now.

I don't know about tyre size on the newer GV but there are some on here with them that may be able to help.