Needing help and advice on my SJ410

A place to post all your pictures and videos or links to any you've found on the tinterweb that you think people will enjoy.
only one rule, no nakedness but make it as dirty as you like! (In the muddy kind of way)
RickUK
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow
Location: Not sure me Tom Tom is bust,but it could be North of Watford Gap.Could be Bedfordshire though.

Re: Needing help and advice on my SJ410

Post by RickUK » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:18 pm

Its a nice looking SJ and a credit to your Dad,the trouble is due to its condition it will of course command i would think a decent price tag as well.

This of course reduces your market to who want's one as clean as this for just driving around town,if it was a solid motor bodywork as well as mechanical wise but well used you would be able to sell it almost straight away i would have though.The folks who are looking for a SJ either want to customise it themselves or turn it into a total off roader,but yours appears to have already been customised and it too good to turn into a off roader.

This of course may not be what you want to hear,but i am afraid that is what the market is looking for and yours does not fit either of them,if you have fond memories of your Dad in this SJ and you loved driving it,i would find a way financially to keep his truck in the family.

That is my take on this motor,good,bad or other wise but i have tried to help you in term of what the market for this SJ is and i am afraid it is limited in its current condition.
Deceased.
SJ413 tinwormed to the great car grave yard in the sky.
Vitara LWB V6 engine deceased and also in the great grave yard in the sky.
www.hideones.info www.hideones.info
Current wheels.
BMW X5 Le Mans 3.0turbo diesel.
Looking for a newish Suzuki Jimny.

charlenesj410
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by charlenesj410 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:27 pm

Don't get me wrong I'd love to keep it, it defo holds a special place in my heart but my dad put so much time and money into it i know i couldn't afford to keep it in the condition that he did and this being the case it would also loose value if it starts too it's condition. I know not to let it go for nothing if i end up needing to sell it but i don't know what sort of figure I'd need to be putting on it. Given the fact he's been offered blank cheques, what would a blank cheque figure be in reason for a vehicle like this in this sort of condition?

RickUK
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow
Location: Not sure me Tom Tom is bust,but it could be North of Watford Gap.Could be Bedfordshire though.

Post by RickUK » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:42 pm

I would go back to the folks that have showed interest in the SJ and ask how much actual hard cash are they looking at paying for it,a blank cheque means nothing really if they are that keen they would have bought it before hand.Go back and say its cards on the table time lets talk some serious business and see if they are still interested in doing a deal.

When someone mentions a blank cheque and all this load of crap,they must have some indication on how much they are worth,its time to talk business with them rather than playing blank cheque games,basically if you approach them again i think you will get some indication on who is genuine and interested in the SJ then you will either find excuses start coming or they will start talking serious.

Its time to take action rather than just empty promises of blank cheques etc,see who is still interested out of the original people then you can change tactics if need be.
Deceased.
Current wheels.

charlenesj410
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by charlenesj410 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:23 pm

I know this certain man approached my dad on a couple of occasions simply asking my dad to name his price for it but dad said it simply wasn't for sale. This man buys classic cars and shows them. If I was to go to him and he was to say right I'd give you 10 grand for it, I wouldn't have the first notion if that is a good or bad price? In your opinions of knowing they're worth in this condition would this be a worthy offer?? I know mechanically its as good as the bodywork and dad also oiled every nuk n crany under it every year so its also rust free. If I needed to sell I'd wana be careful that what I thought was a good offer might not actually be.

RickUK
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by RickUK » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:26 pm

If someone has offered you that amount,snap his hands off,make sure the money is in your account before you part with your SJ.Deal done its that easy.
Deceased.
Current wheels.

charlenesj410
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by charlenesj410 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:53 pm

Cheers for that information. At least I know now what a sensible figure would be but for the meantime she's staying put. I'm looking forward to the summer with it and enjoying it as much with my kids as dad and I did whilst I was growing up!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:17 pm

Seems like £4-5k is a good figure for mint original SJs nowadays but I have seen really nice ones go for half that, even less. At the end of the day it's only worth what someone is willing to pay but that doesn't ever mean let it go for a price you are not happy with.

If space isn't an issue to dry store it I would just keep it and only take it out on nice days, it's easy to keep a car in top condition if you don't drive it much or over the winter when there's salt on the roads.

Llike like a really nice Sj, if it has to go just make sure it goes to someone who will look after and appreciate it as a classic.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

charlenesj410
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by charlenesj410 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:06 pm

Space isn't an issue for it and I was only planning to keep it for use in the summer weather anyway but I was worried if it wasn't used enough that it would cease up and also not good for the battery?

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by dan_2k_uk » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:54 pm

It will be fine if it is kept in a garage and it just has a little run out every now and again and a little bit of simple maintenance.
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:36 pm

And disconnect the battery while not in use and stick it on a trickle charger now and again.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!