Sj 410 project

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
keyring
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Sj 410 project

Post by keyring » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:46 pm

Not updated this a while, although only started getting back into it last week, these posts are copied from another forum so bare with me

keyring
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by keyring » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:55 pm

Once i cut out the old arch....

Ignore all the tac welds along the outer arch, I wish i had tac'd it on the inside, and it'll be grinding them all off, as i've now seem welded along the inside of the wing and i'll get some photos of that today...

I was abit hesitant without trying to remake the corner that was rotten, but i thought I might aswell try to learn on a car that will be getting used and abused anyway, so i gave this a bash too...

Open to any critism, guys on here have done this along time before me, so open to any pointers you may have for me!

keyring
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by keyring » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:57 pm

So today i got the arch finally all seem welded along the wing, and finishing off the weld on the patch at the rear would of got more done but i ended up giving my neighbour a hand with a van.

Tomorrows plans are to finish off the arch on this side, box it in, and join it into the floor where the bulkhead to the pickup bed will be going back in. Might even try get a start on the next side too

Hopefully it stays dry so i can get the sheet steel outside to cut it!

keyring
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by keyring » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:58 pm

So today I actually got done what I wanted to, still need to position and seem weld the inner part of the arch which hopefully I can squeeze in tomorrow between dropping a pals wheels off in Hamilton and I get a strange feeling the misses may have said a while ago she has a doctors appointment i've to take her to...:laughing::laughing::laughing:

But anyway, some pictures...

keyring
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by keyring » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:00 pm

Need to go get more gas tomorrow before I can do any more, but today I got the arch finished off apart from a very small patch I need to cut and weld in place, amazing feeling seeing one side done, has motivated me to get the rest finished all the quicker!

And that's me now up to my latest progress, must say having the one arch done on that side has certainly given me the motivation to fire through the rest of the sj now, would love any pointers and/or guidance from people if they see anything from the pictures...

Cheers :salute:

keyring
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by keyring » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:00 pm

So with the arch all finished, I started to move towards the front on the same side, found some rot where the floor goes into the rear bed

So cut it out and plate a new plate in...

I was hoping to get onto the holes in the driver foot well once I had finished that, but the car obviously had other plans, as i've discovered this rot, some of it even where the seat mounts are, so i'm assuming i'll be best to cut out the seat mounts out, replace all the metal around that area and then reweld the mounts back in place...

And it's even started rotting below the seat belt mount :( Glad i've found it though, just a pain to get into with the grinder, open to any suggestions! :)

donkeychomp
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by donkeychomp » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:49 pm

Tidy. Neat welding too.
If it ticks over...leave it

keyring
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by keyring » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:58 pm

donkeychomp wrote:Tidy. Neat welding too.
Thanks mate, my first time welding thin metal and on a car, so appreciate feed back on it :salute:

But with this being an off roader and not having to be 'show quality' I'm using it as a learning curve

RickUK
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow
Location: Not sure me Tom Tom is bust,but it could be North of Watford Gap.Could be Bedfordshire though.

Post by RickUK » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:09 pm

I really admire someone who can weld and do body work like that,i dont have a clue,wish i had taken lessons years ago but not at my age.I can do all the mechanical work but even that prefer to get someone local to do that as well.

Great work
Deceased.
SJ413 tinwormed to the great car grave yard in the sky.
Vitara LWB V6 engine deceased and also in the great grave yard in the sky.
www.hideones.info www.hideones.info
Current wheels.
BMW X5 Le Mans 3.0turbo diesel.
Looking for a newish Suzuki Jimny.

keyring
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by keyring » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:15 pm

RickUK wrote:I really admire someone who can weld and do body work like that,i dont have a clue,wish i had taken lessons years ago but not at my age.I can do all the mechanical work but even that prefer to get someone local to do that as well.

Great work
Thanks a lot mate, not fancy getting a welder and just teaching yourself?
I learnt basics of mig on thick metal while I was at college, but it wasn't really part of my course, just always had an interest in it, but I'm really enjoying it, and a lot of the time it usually helps when I'm out on the rig anyway :)