Winter Tyres for road use not off road

All tech relating to the Suzuki Vitara that won't relate to any other models, Front IFS etc.
FifeJimny
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: Winter Tyres for road use not off road

Post by FifeJimny » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:48 pm

Hello. New member here. I have the Jimny 1.3 SZ3 2011 reg. Fine wee offroader and every day vehicle. I started off with Land Rovers then tried out the Cherokee 2.5 TD followed by a Mitsibishi Shogun Sport 2.5 TD. My decision to downsize to a Jimny was a good move both practically and economically. Most of the time I was running a 2.5 TD diesel with driver and the occasional passenger. I radio marshal at forest stage rallies and off road events and the Jimny has never let me down, getting into locations where larger 4x4's either ground or sink in to the axles ! I use the Bridgstones that were on it new and have replaced with the same. We get our fair share of snow here in Fife and living in a rural setting that has been snowed in / cut off over the years I have had no problems getting to work or assisting villagers who have no 4x4 capability. OK, my first post. I'll try and get the hang of att. a foto next time. Cheers, Dave B.

ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by ROBBIE » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:56 am

Fifejimny :welcome: to scuk, think you are a brave man sticking with the Bridgestone. I think they were some of the worst tyres out there. Gripless on the road and didn't last very well. Just my opinion, but then have met others who felt the same :D
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

D3v1n
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by D3v1n » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:27 pm

My Gv is on a set of insa turbos and I haven't noticed any difference on a normal wet road as far as handling, noise and grip goes but you really notice the difference in the snow.
If they're available in the right size then they might be a better option. I got mine for about £60 a tyre. If you only need them for a few months of the year then it would seem silly forking out big money for what are basically normal tyres just made from softer rubber and wear faster as a result.

Airforceone
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Airforceone » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:16 am

Thanks for all the advice.

Had a 56 reg GV on A/T tyres all year round and didn't think much of the grip on ice, they seemed ok on snow/slush. Thinking more of the handling really, don't really get a lot of snow in the Glasgow area but we get plenty of rain and eventually ice when the temp drops.

I'm still looking into it but I think I will get a set to try them out not sure which ones yet, will be getting a nice set of Black alloys as well, to go with the white pearlescent paint of the car.

Wimbo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Wimbo » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:03 am

Momentarily I drive a Nissan X-trail and since 6 years I use Yokohama Geolandar's 215x65 x16 AT/S with the snowflake. It's an all seasons tire. Very good in mud and snow, not much noise, good handling on roads (specially in rain) and affordable. Tho say is shortly: good tire.
So, I think this is a tire for the Grand Vitara too! :thumbup: