Not running right, don't have a clue why!

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
lazy rambler
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Re: Not running right, don't have a clue why!

Post by lazy rambler » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:31 am

I put it in for an MOT on Friday, it turns out the head gasket has gone again after only 250 miles! I'll pull the engine apart this week to try and find out why.
:blackside: 2" Shackles, 31" x 10.5" Buckshot Mudders, 1.6 8V with SU :blackfront:

Now a build in progress

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:52 pm

Did you tighten the head down with the correct procedure? did you re-use the old head bolts? if the old head bolts were re-used there is a chance they would've needed to be tightened down again after a few runs maybe?

The head bolts should be tightened in 3 steps at the following torques (lbs-ft) 25, 40, 48-50 following the order
head-sequence2.jpg
head-sequence2.jpg (32.12 KiB) Viewed 3068 times
another possibility could be that it's not the head gasket but a cracked head? but i don't see why it would've been fine for 250miles if that was the case???
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

lazy rambler
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by lazy rambler » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:20 pm

I didn't do the head, it was done by a local mechanic, I'll try and find out tonight if he changed the bolts when he did it. On the plus side if it was because of something he did, the next head gasket will be free. Although he's told me if it goes again the engine will be too high compression to do a third time if necessary. Is that true?
:blackside: 2" Shackles, 31" x 10.5" Buckshot Mudders, 1.6 8V with SU :blackfront:

Now a build in progress

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:07 pm

well you can get 10:1 compression pistons for the 1.3 so as long as it doesn't go above that it should be fine! there's nothing to say that the head will need skimming again anyway, they don't always warp.

It should be fine if he re-used the old bolts really, as long as they are in good condition, as far as I'm aware they are not stretch bolts.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!