Extended spring perches?

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
mike harris
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Re: Extended spring perches?

Post by mike harris » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:19 am

All I know is mine works and I don't have issues, its been in some pretty mad places and never wrapped up bad.

I've been winch bitch with my truck a few times so have had the pleasure of watching the truck work offroad. Yeh the diff will move ever so slightly, but to no great extent, and that's the front on links ! If it did wrap I would have had all sorts of issues by now.

I'm being serious you don't have to run one, I'm captain spring over axle and believe its the best suspension setup full stop.

I'm not going to have an arguememt with anyone but the proofs kink of in the pudding.....

The only time I fucked a spring was when I had my offside front wheel burried, and I tried to move Chichester with my winch !

BUT this is from a very much offroad perspective, good god this wouldn't work on the road. From that point of view yeh Garry tramp bar it is, front, back left and right. Run four !

Reminds me of driving an Sj on missing links on the road a few years back. Jesus that was terrifying !!!

But what do I know :)

Mike

mike harris
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by mike harris » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:23 am

I better had ads before anyone reads this and gets the wrong idea, so I apologise. My truck is 110% offroad

Don't spoa a truck for road use. Again my opinion.

Offroad, it's the best, and for cool people !! :) :)

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:08 am

Didn't you snap a rear spring in France?

I'm not trying to argue either but Everyone I know who has ever fitted an axle wrap bar including one I helped with have all mentioned instant improvement in traction, climbs and how the vehicle puts the power down, some have been on expensive springs, others on stock springs.

At the end of the day it's personal choice but with all the benifits of running one I don't really see why you wouldn't. You often get more wrap in offroad situations than you do on road because of the extra torque in low box, you are on and off the throttle more the tyres can get into binds.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

NylonAdmiral
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by NylonAdmiral » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:59 am

I built and fitted an anti wrap bar the same as the one shown in the picture Scottie posted. Definitely an improvement, wouldn't bother with the majority of the other designs on the net.

With someone else driving the truck when it was fully stuck and trying to get out, I watched as the rear wheels slowly started to wrap the springs, then the bar cuts in and the tyres start to scrabble to free the truck rather than just sitting there winding the leaves around the axles.

Even if you had the most awesome leaf springs in the world, that kind of abuse is definitely going to fatigue them more quickly than if you had a wrap bar installed.

I've done loads of road miles in mine but also had it stuck half way up the doors in mud so I use it in every kind of environment really.

If you want to fit one it's relatively easy to make as long as you can fabricate a little bit. I did mine in bits as I was rebuilding the truck at the same time but if you do decide it's for you (and I'm not saying that it is), then you could probably do it in a day if you already had all the bits you need.

If you do decide to make one, I have first hand experience of using that design for quite a few miles now and it works well without limiting articulation.
1.6 16v, Rock Lobster, PAS, Muddyzook rear disc conversion, coated in Raptor, 33in x 10.5, heated seats, lovingly restored by Scottie!

d_r_1989
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by d_r_1989 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:42 pm

In the picture whats on each joint is it a bush or rose joint?

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:49 pm

d_r_1989 wrote:In the picture whats on each joint is it a bush or rose joint?
You can use either, I would just use poly bushes.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

NylonAdmiral
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by NylonAdmiral » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:58 pm

I used bushes.
1.6 16v, Rock Lobster, PAS, Muddyzook rear disc conversion, coated in Raptor, 33in x 10.5, heated seats, lovingly restored by Scottie!

Boyes
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Boyes » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:16 pm

Nylon what bushes did you use size OD to what size tube? Was going to use the stuff lying around at work since we have so much of it spare this place is built with it pretty much.

NylonAdmiral
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by NylonAdmiral » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:31 pm

I wrote up how I made mine on my blog. It's got all the info on what I used and how I did it.

You can see it here.

I'm not saying it's the right way to do it or the wrong way to do it, it just documents what I did and what I used.

Having been running it since last summer I'm pretty happy with it and it works well.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:22 pm

Adam I still think yours needs a shorter shackle to reduce the wrap limit ;) not that it really matters as you are now building the spua tintop :lol:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!