Starting/ warming up

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
jake 52
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: Starting/ warming up

Post by jake 52 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:32 pm

what model number etc are the webebr carbs?

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:40 pm

Click Here for Ebay Listing

this is the kit

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here

Post by dan_2k_uk » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:55 pm

I know some people do like the Webber (and thats their opinion)... but the SU is superb. really easy to fix, tune and fault find and you can get the manifold customised and a new carb for less than that Webber costs. and if you are prepared to pop to a scrappy and hook a used carb off yourself then well under half the price.
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

Edweird

Post by Edweird » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:08 pm

dan_2k_uk wrote:I know some people do like the Webber (and thats their opinion)... but the SU is superb. really easy to fix, tune and fault find and you can get the manifold customised and a new carb for less than that Webber costs. and if you are prepared to pop to a scrappy and hook a used carb off yourself then well under half the price.
I agree, Webber carbs are good, but you can get an SU carb and a custom manifold to fit the SU for less than that Webber carb. For the application an SU is better suited because you're after reliability and torque not high revs and peak power.

The SU carb, because of the way it is designed, produces more torque in the lower rev range because it increases air velocity. Webbers are designed for maximum air flow at high engine speed.
There's three ways of doing things:

The right way,
The wrong way
And my way, which is like the wrong way but faster.

Tramp

Post by Tramp » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:26 pm

dan_2k_uk wrote:I know some people do like the Webber (and thats their opinion)... but the SU is superb. really easy to fix, tune and fault find and you can get the manifold customised and a new carb for less than that Webber costs. and if you are prepared to pop to a scrappy and hook a used carb off yourself then well under half the price.
Yeah I agree, you can do it cheaper with an SU but it wouldn't be brand new would it? you could do it a whole lot cheaper with just the adaptor kit and a second hand weber, and with a weber you don't have to buy the adaptor for your airbox so you can run a standard one in the standard position no problem, don't get me wrong, I don't dislike SU's its just I was soured by a poor 90 degree adaptor I bought, the weber was a quick and easy solution to the problem of me buying crap parts, the only way I'd ever even consider SU would be with a rockwatt inlet manifold & airfilter adaptor!

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:30 pm

Tramp wrote:
Yeah I agree, you can do it cheaper with an SU but it wouldn't be brand new would it? you could do it a whole lot cheaper with just the adaptor kit and a second hand weber, and with a weber you don't have to buy the adaptor for your airbox so you can run a standard one in the standard position no problem, don't get me wrong, I don't dislike SU's its just I was soured by a poor 90 degree adaptor I bought, the weber was a quick and easy solution to the problem of me buying crap parts, the only way I'd ever even consider SU would be with a rockwatt inlet manifold & airfilter adaptor!
Anyway to sum up for people using this thread for refrence either way does the job of getting rid of that 1.3 carb.

Reckon you could fit a potato with better results than that standard heap!
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

Darrell

Post by Darrell » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:38 pm

No, My potato still runs too rich :thumbup:
Attachments
100_4868.jpg
100_4868.jpg (134.53 KiB) Viewed 6112 times
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

damo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by damo » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:16 pm

would fitting either a webber carb or an su carb improve the speed on the road as i have the original carb on and i can only get between 55 and 60mph flat out in my sj413

Edweird

Post by Edweird » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:30 pm

The short answer is yes, the long answer is so long as it is set up and tuned correctly they should match if not outperform a standard carb in full working order, which yours isn't.
There's three ways of doing things:

The right way,
The wrong way
And my way, which is like the wrong way but faster.

damo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by damo » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:26 pm

cheers ED