Suzuki Ignis Engine in a Sammi

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Suzuki Ignis Engine in a Sammi

Post by dan_2k_uk » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:08 am

Ladaman wrote: I can't complain, as she doesn't when I'm working / spending on the Zook
:thumbup:
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

Anton

Post by Anton » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:53 pm

<puts on interrigation hat>

Couple of questions:

Was the gearbox from the jimny from an M13 engined jimny? Did it bolt right up, or did you have to mod the bellhousing in the end? Which clutch/flywheel/starter did you end up going with - M13 or M15? Or are they close enough to being the same it doesn't matter?

</interrogation hat>

I'd like to keep my current gearbox *if I can* because of it's long 5th gear, which should make cruising on the motorway a bit more economical/less noisy, but it's not a big deal if I can't.

The M15 should be more economical and about 40%+ more torque (assuming I don't do something crazy like go with bike throttlebodies and a megasquirt... Yummmm) so it seems to be (on paper at least) the most sensible swap into a suzi of the era before emissions based tax bands.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:42 pm

Anton,

I had a plan sometime ago to fit Suzuki GSXR 600 carbs as seen on some of the Yank sites, so bought a set, they seem a good fitment if you can get them to work right. But young people and hot hatches don't always go together too well, so this opportunity arrived to fit the M15.

Good questions, and I don't fully know the answers yet.

I believe the Jimny box I have fitted was from a M13 engined one, and yes it does go straight on with no messing about needed. The guy I bought it off really didn't know what I was on about when I started talking engines to him.

I did buy another Jimny box first which must have been from the G series and obviously that doesn't fit :thumbdown: so that will be for sale soon.

As for the flywheel, clutch & starter.

My plan was to use all the Ignis stuff (M15) so the starter will mate correctly and the clutch suitable for the additional power etc...

BUT, the splines on the friction plate are too small, so I need to compare it to a Jimny plate and maybe use one of those. I was thinking of a paddle type anyway, so should be able to mix and match.

As for overall gearing, I did the calc's for 31" wheels (which I need to make fit yet), I have a standard 410 box fitted, not lobster. I have two sets of 5.125:1 Vitara diff gears to build into spare axles with a rear Lockright. This all seemed fine with the original engine and box. I need to redo them now I suppose. Probably different ratios, but a lot more revs, power & torque available now :lol:

I'm also looking to fit the Ignis rear discs if possible as they have a built in handbrake I seem to remember, (it's so long since I stripped it now)! I do have some SJ fronts to mount if I'm mistaken.

Keep watching the DIY is coming along, so should be back in the garage again soon.
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

Anton

Post by Anton » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:34 pm

Superb! Watching with keen interest!
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:42 am

:poke: any updates?
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

kiwizook
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by kiwizook » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:26 am

This is one very nice swap I must say, probably goin to be the best zook around :)
It's not a question of how much you spend on your suzuki, but when your money will run out

Anton

Post by Anton » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:23 am

kiwizook wrote:This is one very nice swap I must say, probably goin to be the best zook around :)
I think it has the potential to improve fuel consumption whilst gaining 50% power. You can't think of that as anything other than awesome.

76lb/ft to 104, 64hp to 108. Better than a Vitara lump, without the higher tax band. Almost diesel levels of torque without all the weight.

I really like the sound of this.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:14 pm

Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Anton

Post by Anton » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:18 pm

Hmmm, that does seem interesting - that guy likes his engine swaps!

I'd love to see a running M15 in an SJ.

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:11 pm

Well it would seem an update is well overdue.

I suppose the only update to be said, is there is nothing to report really, other than loads of excuses why I haven't done anything, so I won't bore you with those.

BUT, all being well I should be starting on it again this next weekend :lol:

Thanks for the links, just whats needed, but I wish I'd know bout the mix and match engine mounts sooner :S

But I've got "custom" ones now, and at least its in.

Wiring looks tricky, can't wait for that bit.
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage