SU Carbs

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
lazy rambler
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Re: SU Carbs

Post by lazy rambler » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:56 pm

Ian, the k & n came on the su. I have seen them on minilove.co.uk
:blackside: 2" Shackles, 31" x 10.5" Buckshot Mudders, 1.6 8V with SU :blackfront:

Now a build in progress

chris71920
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by chris71920 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:40 pm

On my Vit rocker cover I have 2 breather pipes, one small one which goes to the PCV and theres a large on (like the 1.3) that Im unsure on where to plumb it into.

I have a rockwatt manifold which has a large connection on the left which I assume is the relocated brake servo connection? So cant use that.

How come the vac advance must be relocated from then engine side to the air filter side on the HIF44?

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by dan_2k_uk » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:04 pm

The vac adv only needs moving on some carbs as they are all different.

Suzuki engines have no advance at tickover so it needs to be on that side.

Dan
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:58 am

Just remember its better to have no vac advance at all than have it on the wrong side of the butterfly :)
I didnt want to risk drilling the carb body without a proper pillar drill so I ran static advance instead
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

chris71920
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by chris71920 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:28 pm

Ok I'll bare that in mind, thanks :)

Regarding this pic

Mine is slightly different in that the blanked off bit next to the fuel inlet in the pic, has another pipe coming out on mine. Ive connected it to the fuel return hose on mine as if I pump fuel (engine off) into the carb it comes out of here eventually.

But now that its connected if I continue to pump fuel in, it will come out of the overflow pipe at the top. Shall I just blank the lower one off and run the overflow as normal with a hose to the fuel return? Or just exiting under the vehicle further back?

Edweird
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Edweird » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:41 pm

chris71920 wrote:Ok I'll bare that in mind, thanks :)

Regarding this pic

Mine is slightly different in that the blanked off bit next to the fuel inlet in the pic, has another pipe coming out on mine. Ive connected it to the fuel return hose on mine as if I pump fuel (engine off) into the carb it comes out of here eventually.

But now that its connected if I continue to pump fuel in, it will come out of the overflow pipe at the top. Shall I just blank the lower one off and run the overflow as normal with a hose to the fuel return? Or just exiting under the vehicle further back?
Right, it sounds like yours is like mine. The one next to the fuel in on your carb is the overflow. The one higher up is actually a vent that you want to have open to the air. As for the other three: breather, vac-advance and the one coming out nearest the manifold plate, I blanked them off.
There's three ways of doing things:

The right way,
The wrong way
And my way, which is like the wrong way but faster.

chris71920
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by chris71920 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:39 am

Ah ok makes sense. So if I leave the overflow on my fuel return pipe it should be ok? And run the air vent hose somewhere towards the underside?

Edweird

Post by Edweird » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:30 pm

chris71920 wrote:Ah ok makes sense. So if I leave the overflow on my fuel return pipe it should be ok? And run the air vent hose somewhere towards the underside?
That's what I thought initially as well, but that caused the carb to pour petrol into the airbox hose and manifold for some reason. If you check out page 12 of my build thread (http://forum.suzukiclubuk.co.uk/vi ... start,110/), it's all about this exact thing, but the long-short of it is:

The fuel in comes from the fuel pump main output.
The overflow (the one next to fuel in) wants an open hose attached to it. The carb only overflows in rare 'emergency' circumstances I'm told and I was advised to run a hose from the carb overflow through the drain hole behind the drivers side headlight, which I've done and I've never smelled petrol yet.
The return hose to the tank should be fitted back to where it was on the fuel pump.
The air vent in place of where the overflow is on that picture should be left open too. I put a short open hose on it that points upwards.
The oil breather and vacuum advance should be blocked off. I did this by putting short bits of hose on them and forcing a bolt or screw into the end of the hose.

The right way,
The wrong way

chris71920
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by chris71920 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:05 pm

Ok I'll do all that sounds about right to me. Although I can't reconnect the fuel return to the pump as its no longer there (1.6) so block off or just vent it higher up?

Edweird

Post by Edweird » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:08 pm

In that case, block it off or put it on the overflow, yeah.

The right way,
The wrong way