Mikes lwb build and repairs !

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
mike harris
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Re: Mikes rotten Kja

Post by mike harris » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:08 pm

Do I chop the back and bob tail it? Or not?

ianedwards
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by ianedwards » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:04 pm

you can't chop it. :/
Cheers

Ian. :)

1987 Suzuki SJ413 KJA - Fixed + Modified in my own way

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Post by timwilks13 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:05 pm

Chop the back and make it the length of a SWB
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.

mike harris
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by mike harris » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:14 pm

No just measured it needs to stay full length to fit a winch behind the fuel tank.

I've got to cut the back of the chassis of and make new legs, as the need to kick in to meet the winch tray, that's tomorrow's fun and games.

I have to mount the rear winch first to work out how low I can mount the bed, they look much better low than the standard height. Won't be much different but a bit, just has to be enough room to pull the winch through for servicing ect.

I've bought 7.5m of 2x4 inch 4mm box section, same size as the chassis, and a gwyn lewis 8274 winch troff, just got to make it all strong now.

I've had a better look at the bed, as I'm taking 2ft out of the length il loose pretty much all the rust in it, the sides also have rust but I can make that the part I chop out.

Had a better look again at the cab today, the tunnels completely fucked, looks like the gearbox twisted in it, it's mashed, so I'm taking some measurements and I may cut the cab of the floorpan and put it on a perfect samurai shell I have. Could work..... Maybe !

mike harris
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by mike harris » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:52 pm

Today
Attachments
Chopped the old legs off as they has holes in and the end had been cut out for a bumper
Chopped the old legs off as they has holes in and the end had been cut out for a bumper
image.jpg (262.5 KiB) Viewed 7136 times
Re made the legs from 4mm box section, into the gwyn lewis winch tray
Re made the legs from 4mm box section, into the gwyn lewis winch tray
image.jpg (927.09 KiB) Viewed 7136 times
Tray is made from 8mm plate
Tray is made from 8mm plate
image.jpg (395.35 KiB) Viewed 7136 times
Winch mounted with delta tek wide mouth Hawse
Winch mounted with delta tek wide mouth Hawse
image.jpg (214.44 KiB) Viewed 7136 times
Tacked into place
Tacked into place
image.jpg (330.1 KiB) Viewed 7136 times

mike harris
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by mike harris » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:00 pm

Then we did this !

Lots done today, needs all welding up but it's all tacked into place. We cut all the old body mounts of the rear to tidy up the chassis legs as well, looks much better. Beds pretty much where a kja bed should be, next challenge is to put the bulkhead back into the bed, this is tricky as that's where the rust is, and all the hinge mounts ect.

Still got to make up the rest of triangle plates to strengthen the rear winch tray, but that's easy, me and Ben smashed through this part today so we know where we are at with the bed. Can't drill holes and mounts it as the bed may change length to fit the bulkhead back in. Hard to explain but it will make sense :)

So please with the way the back looks :)
Attachments
Cab on !
Cab on !
image.jpg (284.93 KiB) Viewed 7134 times
Quite long !
Quite long !
image.jpg (179.31 KiB) Viewed 7134 times
Chopped the bed ! 2ft off the rascal bed, rested in on, way on the winch and wood way too hight !
Chopped the bed ! 2ft off the rascal bed, rested in on, way on the winch and wood way too hight !
image.jpg (346.42 KiB) Viewed 7134 times
Cut a hole for winch to sit through made box section mounts 230mm long to sit the bed on.
Cut a hole for winch to sit through made box section mounts 230mm long to sit the bed on.
image.jpg (321.01 KiB) Viewed 7134 times
Sits quite nice...
Sits quite nice...
image.jpg (287.86 KiB) Viewed 7134 times
Happy mike :)
Happy mike :)
image.jpg (303.24 KiB) Viewed 7134 times

Darrell
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Re: Mikes rotten Kja PROGRESS !!! :)

Post by Darrell » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:21 pm

Coming along great :doublethumbs:
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

mike harris
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by mike harris » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:35 pm

Thanks mate :)

Yeh pleased so far, new issues arose today like the front of the chassis has been chopped to fit a silly bumper, I need all the original holes for my missing link mounts and bumper bolt mounts. So I may have to weld these on instead, depends if I can remake the front of the chassis.

Oh and if anyone sees for sale the rear lights units for a super carry or rascal, I'm in need as these ones are shit and ugly :)

Mike

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:10 pm

Tidy work Mike, looks good! Some tidy welding as well :thumbup: Are you planning on fish plating the join? Would be a good idea I think as that joint will be under a lot of stress winching.
image.jpg
image.jpg (107.88 KiB) Viewed 7113 times
As for the front it shouldn't be hard to remake it using a similar technique to what you have done on the rear. Would also be a good time to extend the wheelbase at the front if you were still thinking about a slight stretch :thumbup:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

mike harris
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by mike harris » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:16 pm

All in hand ! Yep already cut them out, triangles for the inside too, inside the new box section against the tube and at the back, then down from rail to the tray.

Today was just to get an idea of what needed to go where, before today we had no idea really, now we can see what we have to do to progress.

I may try and bash the bed out next weekend just tack it all in place and have it blasted, as that may take a couple of weeks to come back.

Doing a challenge in my red suzuki end of this month then il take it apart for this one :)

Can't wait to see this sat up on 37's :)

Il attend to the front at some point it's nothing major, it's more of a pain I just can't bolt that bit together. I have a mint samurai chassis witch I can rape, so that may work too :)

We shall see :)

Mike