Sam's Samurai Project

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
sam16v
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Sam's Samurai Project

Post by sam16v » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:55 pm

Cheers Tom looking forward to the extra power. Was yours a fly by wire Tdi engine? (no throttle cable?) or the older Td engine? What did you do in terms of adaptor plate and flywheel? you got any pictures of it? any info would be greatly appreciated

turbo-tom
I spend far too much time on here

Post by turbo-tom » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:24 pm

sam16v wrote:Cheers Tom looking forward to the extra power. Was yours a fly by wire Tdi engine? (no throttle cable?) or the older Td engine? What did you do in terms of adaptor plate and flywheel? you got any pictures of it? any info would be greatly appreciated

to tell the truth im not sure tbh i didnt put it in :lol: had throttle cable for sure witha turbo on the side :er: :lol:

flywheel

not to sure if if its con plate as such but it was between the gearbox and engine when i broke them apart
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

turbo-tom

Post by turbo-tom » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:25 pm

my engine when i wipped it out of the sj

Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

sam16v
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by sam16v » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:01 am

thanks tom just what i needed pictures are great! And yeah yours was the older Td engine much simpler engine. Oh and you have Pm cheers.

sam16v
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by sam16v » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:26 pm

Progress at last! had a good day on it today, Did loads of measuring and calculating first thing this morning. Luckily i had a spare vw bottom end lying around for measuring and mocking up. Made up an Mdf template for the adaptor plate just to check everything would fit together, then transferred it all to steel (Plasma cutter made light work of it)
Adaptor plate is nearly done just needs countersinking for bolts, took a bit of time to get it right but should be able to knock out any future plates quite quickly.
Heres how it sits on the engine
And with the Box on
Dropped the engine into the Samurais engine bay, leveled everything out and made a start on the engine mounts, shouldnt be too complicated
Next challenge will be the custom flywheel, thinking of using the vw flywheel machined down to take the Suzuki ring gear and redrilled for the suzuki clutch plate? (suzuki on the Left Audi 80 on the right)

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:10 am

Looking good matey :smokin:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

sam16v
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by sam16v » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:54 pm

Well its been a few months an not done much to the sj, due to a bit of a lack of interest. And christmas, cold weather etc.
But keen to get cracking again now, However im faced with a bit of a dilema?
Found a crash damaged 2001 Grand vitara 2.0TD in the scrap Yard and managed to get the whole vehicle for a good price! Initially thought they were fitted with the Mazda RF diesel engine but, further investigation shows its the later Peugeot 2.0 Hdi Intercooled engine which is 110 bhp and aparenly 250Nm of torque.
So not sure which engine to go with? either the Vw Tdi which will still need, flywheel machining, a clutch, engine mounts,plumbing wiring etc.
Or just stick the more powerfull Hdi lump in using the vitara gearbox?
The peugeot will be the easier swap as i have all the bits but, i do like vw engines???? anyone have experience of both?

parrotveasey81
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by parrotveasey81 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:29 am

from looking on the 306 forum the hdi's are not that great and can play up alot.
i would keep the vw,also with the vw you can run veg oil if you want too,you cant with the hdi

chrisj410
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by chrisj410 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:21 am

Looking good mate, if you still got the flywheel out I'd go get it reground Too

sam16v
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by sam16v » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:50 pm

Big old update. Got fed up of looking at the poor thing sitting outside my workshop, Haven't had the time needed to put into the engine conversion with work being so busy. Its been off the road since July last year :|. well snow and ice are definitely on their way and I'm not missing out on all the fun this year.
So decided to drag it out check the damage done whilst its been sitting and chuck a samurai engine in the old girl. Good news is after a good steam cleaning all looks amazingly good.
Started on it last week fair old job needed to drag the EFI engine, loom, dashboard and various other bits of my other samurai project and stick it in the red tintop.
Here's how shes looking needs a few more bits doing, new rear springs, new radiator, small patch of welding on the inner sill, then hopefully MOT next Saturday and back on the road!
Was just tidying up to go home for the night decided to put the truck up in the air to sweep the floor forgetting the rear door was open!!! managed to mash the poor thing into the roof!!!
It'll bend out but never be right. So on the look out for a straight rear door for a tintop if anybody has one kicking about??
Bit gutted but cant wait to get back on the road in the Sammy!!!!