Suzuki Ignis Engine in a Sammi

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Re: Suzuki Ignis Engine in a Sammi

Post by Ladaman » Tue May 07, 2013 10:07 pm

Well I've had a bit of a fruitful bank holiday weekend.

I picked up my new Jimny clutch which fits straight on.

I finally tracked down a broken Jimny M13A engine. A guy who breaks Jimny's in Chesterfield, had an engine from a car that had been in a big front end smash, which had broken the block, so he was prepared to break the engine up. So having just had cruise control fitted to my day car, it was an opportunity to test it on the M1 :lol: So Saturday afternoon I was cruising back up the M1 with a pick up pipe and exhaust manifold.

All fitted now, I've dropped the engine and box back in. I'm not totally happy with the power steering pump, as it's still a bit close to the chassis/inner wing, but I will see how it goes when I find a belt to fit. It might need an inner wing trim, or bracket MK3 :hahaha:

I think its all plumbed up now for cooling. Well all the pipe outlets I can see have a pipe on. Lets just hope I haven't got water/fuel/vacuum mixed up!! :shock: I still need a top hose, but i think a flexi universal type one will have to do there.

I've also started tonight to fit a drum hand brake onto the transfer box as a quick fix until I get around to doing the Ignis brake swap. It will have rear disc then with built in cable operated handbrake, so will be okay for the MOT this year.

Once the handbrake is done, transfer box refitted, fuel pipes fitted. New ones will be run inside the car. It will be JUST wiring :S :shock: :S
Attachments
Engine RH.JPG
Engine RH.JPG (1.72 MiB) Viewed 5826 times
Engine LH.JPG
Engine LH.JPG (1.82 MiB) Viewed 5826 times
Engine clutch manifold.JPG
Engine clutch manifold.JPG (2.09 MiB) Viewed 5826 times
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

donkeychomp
I spend far too much time on here

Post by donkeychomp » Tue May 07, 2013 11:06 pm

Most impressed by all of this, keep it up!
If it ticks over...leave it

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Sun May 19, 2013 9:52 pm

Well things were looking good, and I really thought I might actually get it running this next week.

I've adjusted the mount I made for the power steering pump to give more clearance, so bracket mod 3.

Transfer box drum hand brake fitted and mounted in my rock bucket. All fitted back in, with all prop shafts.

Gear levers sorted. The transfer one just needed a bit of a massage to clear the back of the gearbox mount. The main gear box stick had been cut off on the box I bought :er: I'm sure it would have been easier just to undo the bolts rather than saw it off. Anyway I chopped the one out of the scrap Ignis and welded it all together. Looks nice with a nice gear knob too.

Fitted the Ignis steering wheel because it looks quite a bit nicer than the Sammi one. Even with no power in the Ignis it was mighty scary dealing with an air bag. Really glad to get the explosive bit out!!

Fuel lines run through the cabin.

Clutch cable to connect up. WTF!! the operating arm just flops about, nothing going on at all :argh:

There is also no mount for the cable outer. Not too bad I could make something for that, but I'm bamboozled as to the arm. It looks like the box will have to come out to investigate. Why didn't I check before I put it in? I really don't know, but it looked perfect for the job. Maybe the pressure plate is a different thickness?

Ah well, these things are sent to test us, and this bit of a job certainly is testing me. :hahaha:
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sun May 19, 2013 10:07 pm

All good fun. Thats the problem when you are the first one to do a job.

It's all trial and error. Looking good so far. Nice thing you've gone into a fair bit of detail should anyone want to do it themselves later on.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Mon May 20, 2013 10:00 am

that definitely looks pretty tasty in your engine bay!!!
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

turbo-tom

Post by turbo-tom » Mon May 20, 2013 10:46 am

Hmmm I want! Thanks for taking the time with the thread! I may do this conversion for a road sj hmmm.
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Mon May 20, 2013 10:46 am

You need to get on the road first ;)
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

turbo-tom

Post by turbo-tom » Mon May 20, 2013 10:49 am

twiss wrote:You need to get on the road first ;)
Fawk off im nearly!! :thefinger:

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Mon May 20, 2013 2:53 pm

turbo-tom wrote:Hmmm I want! Thanks for taking the time with the thread! I may do this conversion for a road sj hmmm.
I'm getting a bit giddy now about it. It's been a much longer job than I expected, but I have dicked about and lost my mojo a couple of times.

Why just a road SJ?
This is my plaything and will be off roaded, laning and P & P days, plus road legal.
YouTube

turbo-tom

Post by turbo-tom » Mon May 20, 2013 2:57 pm

Road sj im mean just to get me from a to b and c. i like my sj but its just so loud on the road and slow! so im thinking ingnis engine and stock height 413!