sj413 engine

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
jim tylee
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

sj413 engine

Post by jim tylee » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:09 am

Just been reminded of a episode with friends Suzuki 413....he loves Redex in his vehicles.....so he thought he would put a squirt into each cylinder while plugs were out.....on startup lots of blue smoke as one can expect ..it turned over quite slow before starting i noticed.....off he went but only for a short time on arriving back to my garage he said something is wrong...i drove around the block and it was certainly not right no power......compression test no3 cylinder very low .....head off and guess what head gasket had blown in a big way by no3 ........i think that the Redex in the cylinder had made the psi so high the gasket gave way, anyway new gasket and no more Redex for this Suzuki anus
Jim
Attachments
PDR_0049.JPG
PDR_0049.JPG (375.57 KiB) Viewed 4342 times

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Re: sj413 engine

Post by twiss » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:10 am

Redex in the cylinders? Never heard of that one before lol
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

jim tylee
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by jim tylee » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:26 am

He had read that it frees gummed up piston rings
Jim

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:30 am

Hmm personally for that I would have poured a little bit of oil in each cylinder, leave it overnight, then take the spark plugs out and turn the engine round with a socket wrench on the crank pulley nut
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:15 pm

I think it frees up rings if left to soak. It will also seep through and past the rings and harmlessly mix with the oil.

If you put too much in re fit the plugs and the crank it over, on the compression stoke it will have no where to go and BOOM gasket will go.

Lesson to be learned there?
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

RickUK
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow
Location: Not sure me Tom Tom is bust,but it could be North of Watford Gap.Could be Bedfordshire though.

Post by RickUK » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:21 pm

Redex as a general rule was always added to the fuel by a set amount to a full tank of fuel,this over time did work by reducing the amount of carbon on the valves and valve seats,but it was mainly aimed at older cars.

Gut feeling tells me that a fair amount was added into the bores via the plug holes and after starting it could well have caused a hydraulic lock effect and this then took out the head gasket which was the weakest link.

Of course i could be wrong but modern cars dont tend too coke up as much as they did decades ago,a very small shot of oil or any lubricant down the bores in theory wont do any harm,its best to turn the ngine over without the plugs in afterwards to get rid of most of the excess oil so that hydraulic locks wont happen.

At least its working again.
Deceased.
SJ413 tinwormed to the great car grave yard in the sky.
Vitara LWB V6 engine deceased and also in the great grave yard in the sky.
www.hideones.info www.hideones.info
Current wheels.
BMW X5 Le Mans 3.0turbo diesel.
Looking for a newish Suzuki Jimny.