SJ410 clutch kit needed

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
martinspindler
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

SJ410 clutch kit needed

Post by martinspindler » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:36 pm

Hi guys just joined and hope you can help.
I have a Yellow ScampGT4x4 which was the first prototype using a Suzuki SJ chassis instead of mini mechanicals, there is a picture of it in the back of the book - How to Modify Suzuki 4x4 for Serious Off-Road Action by John Richardson. I have built two Scamps based on minis in the past and have owned a 410 Santana which a friend of mine still uses. But I wanted both and when it came up for sale a few years ago I bought it.
I have been working abroad for the last 12 months and before I went I put the Scamp in the garage knowing that it needed a new clutch release bearing. Now that I am back in the uk I dragged the Scamp out of the garage and removed the gearbox and dismantled the clutch. It would appear that I have a very early Japanese 410 engine and gearbox - 1983, the release bearing has a spring on either side to attach it to the forks, I believe there are 3 types of clutch available for this early gearbox, I am loathe to order a clutch kit without checking that it is the right one. The later clutch for vehicles 85 on is readily available but I am sure I need the early one - can you help?

carnut
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Re: SJ410 clutch kit needed

Post by carnut » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:47 pm

most motor factors,, (the ones that supply parts to garages) not halfords,, keep parts books that give sizes, and diagrams of clutch kits etc. best bet is to call in and speak to these guys.
andy.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:27 am

welcome to the site matey you got any pics to put up then?

Thats a shame ive got a later model clutch kit with only 500-1000 miles on it spare!

As henry says though; if you go to a motor factors with the vin number they should be able to get the one you need.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Kirkynut
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Kirkynut » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:01 pm

I have a Santana - 1988 which has the clutch that you do not want - I've got a Motoquip one, if I can find the box in my garage I'll post their part number as it will help you narrow it down a bit.

Kirkynut

martinspindler
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by martinspindler » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:28 am

Thanks guys for the help, I downloaded Quenton Hazell's clutch catalogue and then rang them up to make sure I ordered the right one. The clutch was delivered to my local motor factors the next day. The new clutch is in only the gearbox to fit. What I did not realise that the release bearing is in a press fit carrier but it was fairly easy to tap out the old one and press in the new one. The clutch was £61.95 which I thought was reasonable.

carnut
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by carnut » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:35 am

thats a good price,, at least you can get your truck back on the road..
andy