Brake fluid

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
4eye
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Brake fluid

Post by 4eye » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:00 am

Got to bleed the system......is there a specific/prefered brake fluid used
ITS NOT LEAKING OIL...........SHE'S MARKIN HER TERRITORY!!!!!!!!

my ride.........:4eye:

+2 lift....grizzley boots is all i need!

chan
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Brake fluid

Post by chan » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:04 pm

i ask the same question please

i hope its dot 4

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:15 pm

yeah i think it is dot 4.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

4eye
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by 4eye » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:12 pm

Well i bought and topped up the res.........she's now back on the road! Happy happy happy!

chan
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by chan » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:55 pm

nice one mate :lol:

bourneyo
The Boss
The Boss

Post by bourneyo » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:32 am

4eye wrote:Well i bought and topped up the res.........she's now back on the road! Happy happy happy!
In theory you should never have to top up your brake fluid! if when you replace all your brake pads and shoes you make sure your fluid is at the max line, when your fluid level begins to drop it is a sign that your pads/shoes are worn.

Dan 8-)
http://www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk the new home for your suzuki sj

4eye
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by 4eye » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:00 pm

bourneyo wrote:
4eye wrote:Well i bought and topped up the res.........she's now back on the road! Happy happy happy!
In theory you should never have to top up your brake fluid! if when you replace all your brake pads and shoes you make sure your fluid is at the max line, when your fluid level begins to drop it is a sign that your pads/shoes are worn.

Dan 8-)
Yeah the thing was i had a small problem withsa caliper.........it wouldn't go in so i undone the nipple and tried again......it went all the way in but also lost a caliper's worth of fluid......plus a little more when i bled the breaks. :roll: :lol: :P

ben_moto501
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by ben_moto501 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:42 pm

If your vehicle recommends DOT 4 brake fluid then you can use DOT 4 or above! Brake fluid is a hydroscopic liquid and this means it absorbs moisture from the air, as brake fluid gets older the amount of moisture it has absorbed gets high enough that when it gets hot the water boils and turns to a gas giving you spongy brakes. It might appear fine when you bleed them but when actually driving you would still get spongy brakes! The only difference in the DOT numbers is the resistance to absorbing moisture and ultimately lifespan! I would never advise anyone to use a lower number than the manufacturer recommends but there is no harm at all in going for a higher number!
Remember if your brakefluid is almost as old as your anus (mine being 18 years old) then you really should change the fluid as you might have already noticed intermittant spongy brakes! Brake fluid is normally good for 4 or 5 years, depending on condition of seals and rubber pipes, but if you're in doubt then it's not really an expensive thing to change!
Always bleed the brakes from the furthest cylinder/caliper from the master cylinder and then work your way to the closest! It's pretty easy with 2 people or you can get 1 man kits from pretty much any car shop! These are sometimes quite fiddly though so jus call in a favour from a mate and get someone to help you!

Hope this helps!

Ben