disc handbrake

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
jutwit
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

disc handbrake

Post by jutwit » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:09 pm

are those disc hand brakes any good, has anybody used one, and are they worth the money, or would a rear disc conversion be a better opyion or both?

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: disc handbrake

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:01 pm

I run an Xeng disc handbrake and it is brilliant! a bit of a pig to get set up right when you first do it but its not too bad! it will hold you anywhere you have grip. only problem i had was when it got really clogged up with some thick mud and destroyed the pads, however that mud was so bad it destroyed all the other pads and shoes on the zuke.

Also they sometimes dont spring back too well but i solved that with fitting spacers on the springs to open the caliper up better when released.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

jutwit
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by jutwit » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:34 pm

looks like it could be an option then, having a bit of trouble getting a handbrake cable, so might do that and be done with it. thanks.

ginger c
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by ginger c » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:04 pm

hi, my sammy has a x-brake as well & wouldn't be without it, locks solid as a rock anywhere.... but can get clogged up... 8-)

chan
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by chan » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:39 pm

is this using the rear calipers as the hand brake or a disc in place of the drum on the propshaft?

i cant get my drum off and my hand brake doesnt work! ive tried nearly everything to get it off but it wont budge! the shoes may have worn into the drum so much they may have made a lip on the surface and its stopping it from comming off!

the center bolt behind the prop shaft is the only thing holding it on right?

any ideas?

thank you :P

carnut
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by carnut » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:45 pm

unbolt the wheel clyinder, and just push it into the drum!.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:47 pm

Block of wood and the trusty 2lb'er. My SJ used to stick on like glue. Gentle persuasion always worked. Thats y i love drums.... Not. After every outing u have to strip em down.

Even if there is a lip when u adjust then thru the little hole the shoes shud release. Unless the slack adjuster whole is well clogged too.

If anyone knows a good write up on fitting transmission disc hand brake please post a link.

Cheers
Jordi
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:52 pm

I dont know what you have done, but have you tried tapping around the edge with a hammer?
I can remember when I was an apprentice and working with site vans and we were knocking brake drums off with masive hammers when they came off they were lemon shaped, the bloke I was working with said 'just throw them back on it doesn't matter they are site only vans!'

another thought is to get your prop and put a socket or a nut or something inside as a snug fit then bolt the prop back on, the socket should sit on the stub and by bolting it on should lever the drum off the shaft,

if that doesnt work I dunno!!!

carnut
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by carnut » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:55 pm

carnut wrote:unbolt the wheel clyinder, and just push it into the drum!.
i read that wrong,, i thought you had a sammy.. the t/box drum needs de adjusting, then hit the corner/edge of the drum and it should pop loose. ill take some pics tommorow?.

chan
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by chan » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:17 pm

ive been wacking it with a hammer and all sorts! the prop with a socket up its arse sounds like a good idea to lever it off! so theres nothing i need to unbolt on the back of it?

the haynes manual just says "remove the drum" then adjust the shoes lol :lol: