Indicator stalk

Got an electrical gremlin? Ask the question here.
Stats696
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Indicator stalk

Post by Stats696 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:27 pm

Hi,

I have just purchased my sj 413.

Whist driving home I noticed that the indicator stalk didn't allow me to turn right very easily as it involved some wiggling to get it to connect the terminals and signal right.

Does someone know of a tutorial or diy on cleaning it up, or is it a replacement job?

Pugsley
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Indicator stalk

Post by Pugsley » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:37 pm

Hi

I had a small issue with my SJ410 similar to what you have described - I have to assume that the arrangement is similar for a 413. The indicator stalk mechanism locks in to the left/right or central position using a spring loaded ball bearing which locates in to a small recess in a plastic moulding. It may have become misplaced or even lost on the floor.

Remove the steering wheel (mark its position relative to the steering shaft and be careful you don't belt yourself in the mouth with it when it comes off - you may have to help it off with a hide faced hammer). Remove the plastic trim/cowl which surrounds the stalks (self tapping screws located on the underside). Operate the indicator arm and you should be able to readily see what is going on. On my vehicle the ball is held in place by a copper plate which is also an electrical pick up for the indicator system. Be careful you don't lose the ball and spring if you remove the copper plate. The ball should be well lubricated with grease.

Ian

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Henry » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:21 am

Mine turned out to be a slight issue with the dash cowling...

After a good bit of persuasion... the dash twisted slightly and now it works 8-)

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:48 pm

mine just pi$$es me off all the time doing that but it still works so it can stay as it is :lol: :lol:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!