SJ 410 build

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
dantheman6106
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

SJ 410 build

Post by dantheman6106 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:05 pm

Hi,

Thought I would start a bit of an update to my SJ410 build its a little late as I started it in November and its not far off being where I want it to be but here goes

When I first got it the following was already done

31" Grizzly Claws ( no spare though )
Calimini Springs and shocks
Extended stainless brake hoses ( one missing)
Pick up conversion
Horribly big shackle lift
Diff Breathers all round
32mm Wheel spacers
Not standard wheels ( yet to find out what they are from )
Snorkel
Recovery lights on the rear
Electronic fan with switch in dash
Poly bushed all round

Probably some other bits Ive forgotten but basically somebody had spent a fair bit on it at one time but it had been a little big neglected

First job was to replace the Clutch as this was completely gone and they had supplied a heavy duty clutch with anus so not too bad

First outing with the anus we found we only had 2 wheel drive and major problems with the steering so after a little investigation we realised the front ns half shaft was snapped into 3 pieces the stub axle had completely sheared off and all the bearings were out causing the steering to keep jamming. I managed to source a half shaft and stub axle from ebay and these were fitted and every thing was running fine.

Next to do was the transfer box mounts as whoever had it before had not bothered to replace them and just used nuts and bolts so I got some heavy duty Range rover V8 engine mounts and adapted them to suit.

Next on the list was to install a Thermostat for the electric fan as I kept forgetting to put the fan on and it was getting hot a lot so I got an electronic in line thermostat and fitted it into the top hose, this is one of the best mods Ive done and works a treat keeping the engine at 70 degrees

ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here

Re: SJ 410 build

Post by ROBBIE » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:24 pm

sounds good but wheres the :snap: the natives love there :snap: ;)
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

dantheman6106
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by dantheman6106 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:43 pm

Pics will follow as soon as I can find my camera lead to upload them !

The next job was the electrics and whoever had had it before had made a right mess so being an electrician I thought I would give it a make over

I started by stripping out all the redundant wiring and starting again I put in a seperate fusebox under the dash and then ran all the spot lights, fan etc through relays and seperate LED switches mounted in the dash- PICs to follow.

With all the electrics done the next job was to replace the leaking old soft top roof with a custome made plastic one from ebay which again was one of the best mods I have done as the cab is now bone dry

I was then after an external cage and managed to find one on Difflock which was very local to me and was only £ 150.00 I repainted the cage and made some rock sliders for the cage to sit on. I then got a friend to weld everything up nice and strong and then mounted 4 spots above the window again wired back to the dash switches - PICs to follow

My next major problem which I am in the middle of completing was thge brakes which were absolutley awful and kept ripping the linings off the shoes.

I managed to pick up a complete Disc conversion kit and uprated front discs and calipers from Diff lock local to me for £ 140 quid which I thought was pretty reasonable.

First of all I changed the front standard discs and calipers to Vitara Calipers and Vented discs had some new stainless steel hoses made by a friend who makes them for kit cars.

dantheman6106
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by dantheman6106 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:47 pm

I then started to remove the rear drums and fit the new discs, the kit came with a set of Heavy duty bearing retainers which were well worth the money as they come in two parts so slide over the axle and are a lot easier than making your own out of the old brake drum .

Thats as far as I have got with the brakes at the mo as Im waiting for some short stainless hoses for the rear and then I can get finished and thats pretty much as far as I want to go apart from chequer plating the rear pick up bay and fitting the spare wheel on top ,

Pics will be up as soon as I can

Dan

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:28 pm

Awesome sounds like you've been busy, looking forward to the pics :thumbup:

:poke: don't make us wait too long though :mrgreen:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

dantheman6106
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by dantheman6106 » Sun May 08, 2011 7:38 pm

Right finally got round to taking some pics of the SJ so here goes
Attachments
and again
and again
Jeep 1.jpg (716.28 KiB) Viewed 8145 times
and again
and again
Jeep 2.jpg (920.77 KiB) Viewed 8145 times
As it stands now
As it stands now
Jeep 3.jpg (859.55 KiB) Viewed 8145 times
The day I picked it up
The day I picked it up
71849_441781222010_599242010_5392243_6995286_n[1].jpg (76.17 KiB) Viewed 8145 times

arnie
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by arnie » Mon May 09, 2011 9:12 pm

looks smart :)

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue May 10, 2011 9:12 am

Looks cool matey, why'd you swap out the red wheels though? They looked :smokin:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

xiztrn
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by xiztrn » Tue May 10, 2011 12:06 pm

Arnt they just the same wheels with the paint stripped?

turbo-tom

Post by turbo-tom » Tue May 10, 2011 7:33 pm

looking smart :rockin:
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D