ruf and rascal springs

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
Jamie_stafford
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

ruf and rascal springs

Post by Jamie_stafford » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:29 pm

Hi im looking at doing rear springs up front and rascal springs on the rear but cant find much info on fitting the rascal springs, are they a direct fit?
Suzuki, because life's to short to be fixing landrovers!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: ruf and rascal springs

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:50 am

They are slightly longer so you can either run them in the original hanger pushing the axle backwards slightly and running a longer shackle or you can make some adapter plates to push the chassis spring mount forwards to keep the axle in it's stock position, kind've like a YJ conversion pictured below.

Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

bourneyo
The Boss
The Boss

Post by bourneyo » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:41 pm

When I done this i made some extended shackles think they are about two inces longer than the standard shackles and they work fine! as for RUF i looked at this, but my welding skils arent up to the job so i got an ad-a-leaf kit from Dave at llama4x4, along with some shiny new longer braded brake hoses.

Dan
http://www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk the new home for your suzuki sj

Jamie_stafford
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Jamie_stafford » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:10 am

Ive got longer shakles anyway and i dont mind the axle moveing back a bit, i like the idea of ruf moveing the axle foward as my tyres are about 5mm from my bulkhead on full lock, looks like this will be my next mod to do! thanks for the info
Suzuki, because life's to short to be fixing landrovers!

bourneyo
The Boss
The Boss

Post by bourneyo » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:05 pm

Have done som remembering and its not longer shackles you need, it is banana shaped ones!if you look at the back of your zook there should be a role of metal behind the shackles! this is to stop your shackles moving to far and ur leaf overflexing! because of the different profile of the rascal springs your original shackles will foul!! i made some new shackles out of some 5mm plate using an ols shackle as a template for the spacing of the eyes!

hope i havent remembered this to late!!

Dan
http://www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk the new home for your suzuki sj