Reconditioning Gearboxes

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
HuwJones
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Reconditioning Gearboxes

Post by HuwJones » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:21 pm

I'm looking to swap my SJ410 engine with a Vitara 1.6 8v engine. So i'm going to need a SJ413 gearbox. Since i have a few months to service / recondition the 'new' engine and gearbox i would start with the gearbox.
I'm not sure what you'd call them, possibly 'bearing kits' or reconditioning kits. I'm basically looking for new bearings and seals to put into the SJ413 gearbox.
I'm used to working with engines and gearboxes. I work with all sorts of them, from a modified Alison (earth-moving, high torqe) gearbox to a WW1 Baldwin gearbox thats one of about three that are in working order in the world. I wouldn't say i'm an expert by far, but i feel confident enough to do this work myself.
Thanks
Huw Jones
There's three ways of doing things,
1) The Right Way,
2) The Wrong Way
3) My Way.
2 & 3 are usually the same.

Pugsley
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Reconditioning Gearboxes

Post by Pugsley » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:03 pm

I've not reconditioned a 413 box but recently I did so on my 410 4 speed unit. I quite understand that you may wish to have the bearings and seals in your hands before starting the job but they are very available probably from any bearing supplier. With your experience you will obviously know that the bearings are marked with a coding for ready identification - I live down here in N. Devon which is hardly industrialised and I got my four main bearings off the shelf from a local supplier at a very competitive rate.

If the gearbox is similar to the 410, and I'm sure it is, you will only need two oil seals - personally I prefer to get these direct from Suzuki because I never know their sizes - some people on here do but I don't. If you go to Suzuki, remember to take your full chassis number details with you, they will be stumped without it.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:33 pm

You can get complete rebuild kits including the syncros from the US http://www.trailtough.com/index.php?pag ... &Itemid=53

There's not actually many bearings though so if you just want to do the bearings and seals it probably wouldn't cost too much.

There's a guide in the DIY/tech section on the homepage with some rebuild tips :thumbup:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Darrell
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Darrell » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:01 pm

Any help http://www.geerdijk.com/files/suzuki/tranny_rebuild.pdf

Not sure if I've posted this before as nobody has ever confirmed if all my info is correct :thumbdown: and I've never rebuilt one..
Attachments
Transmission.JPG
Transmission.JPG (165.86 KiB) Viewed 3769 times
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!