strange running with recent su conversion please help!

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
moggyman
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

strange running with recent su conversion please help!

Post by moggyman » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:32 pm

Hi folks
i'm really hoping some one on here can help, last weekend I fitted an su conversion to my mate Ollies 86 sj 413 just in time for him to go back to uni in scarboro. all we had time for before he left was a quick run round the block and a tinker with the mixture to cure a slight pinking under load and all seemed fine.

today Ollie rang me to say the cars playing up, on initial start up whether hot or cold the engine revs to 2k for a few seconds before nearly dying and then repeating this for the first 5 mins or so and then idling as normal, when driving the car it will set off normally and then when changing gear seems to lose power for about 5 seconds and then takes off like a scalded cat before repeating this at the next gearchange. once up to speed on the open road it will maintain speed in top gear with no apparent problems

the breather from the rocker cover is connected to the carb but has a t connector with the other end going to the manifold as per the original setup, is this right?

the vacuum advance pipe form the distributor goes to the distributor cap, why i don't know but this surely can't be right but because the motor was like this with the old carb and i didn't have any pipe available with which to reroute this to the take off on the su carb i left it alone and temporarily blanked off the carb take off point.

could any of this be down to carb icing at this time of year?

i appreciate this may be a lot to ask but the cars nearly fifty miles away and i can't go to look at it until friday night due to being on-call for the local hospital till then, also if we had had more time to test the car before he went back to uni we might have discovered the problem then.

many thanks for reading this and any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.
Neil. :roll:

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: strange running with recent su conversion please help!

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:12 pm

I'm not too clued up on the SU side of things but here is a link to nigel heads write up off difflock, there are a few links within this article that should give you all the info you need.

http://forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php?p=165433

Scott
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

moggyman
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by moggyman » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:09 pm

thanks for that Scott, went up to scabbie last night to take a look at it and couldn't believe what i eventually found with the erratic idle, the idle adjusting screw was vibrating it's way in and out every time the throttle was pressed the idle speed depending entirely on the position of the screw when the throttle was released.
temporarily cured that but will make a more permanent cure tommorrow when he comes back to hull for a few hours.

the power loss appears to me to be an ignition system fault so will look into that more closely too but i think his plug leads are shot to start with, they look ok just pld but if you just move them slightly the engine almost dies before picking up again.

anyway thanks again Scott the link was helpful to look at before i went to see him.
Neil

Kirkynut
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Kirkynut » Fri May 29, 2009 3:27 pm

Glad you fixed it but just a quick note to say that there might be a acuum pipe to the dizzy to get a through flow of air to draw moisture out of it when wading to avoid damp points. Most caps have a rubber pipe for fresh air and some people add another pipe to them by glueing it on to a hole they've made in the cap and running a vacuum pipe to it to draw air through for this reason.

Could this be what that's all about?

Kirkynut