1999 1.6 JX Not Starting

Got an electrical gremlin? Ask the question here.
iamnotme
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

1999 1.6 JX Not Starting

Post by iamnotme » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:28 pm

Hello,

I am starting to look at my Vitara JX again, after an unexpected extended break as my neck operation didn't go according to plan.

Anyway, basically it won't start. I tried some easy start spray, nothing, checked spark plugs and nothing. So now I am on to either the immobiliser or ECU.

From memory, we have never had a check engine light working since we bought the car last November, but I have the clocks out and have checked the lamp and it's ok, however it doesn't illuminate even if I disconnect the immobiliser under the dash. Also their is no audible click from any relays when I turn the ignition on. I have checked fuse F1 and that is healthy.

Is there a way to bypass the immobiliser to test if it's that or the ECU that isn't working?

Thanks,

Jon

donkeychomp
I spend far too much time on here

Re: 1999 1.6 JX Not Starting

Post by donkeychomp » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:22 pm

When you said you checked the plugs have you checked to see if you have a spark? Is the fuel pump working? You'll see fuel in the filter when you crank the engine over. Is there fuel in the tank? Can't help with the immobiliser sorry.
If it ticks over...leave it

iamnotme
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by iamnotme » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:23 pm

donkeychomp wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:22 pm
When you said you checked the plugs have you checked to see if you have a spark? Is the fuel pump working? You'll see fuel in the filter when you crank the engine over. Is there fuel in the tank? Can't help with the immobiliser sorry.

Yes, I had a plug out and rested against the block but no spark. Nothing clicks on when I turn the key, though I haven't inspected the filter yet. Yes there is fuel in the tank as I filled it up just before it stopped working.

My thoughts are possibly ECU, so I will be checking the power to that at the weekend probably, unless I get time this week.

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:53 pm

Could be a sticky solenoid. Have you tried whacking the starter motor as you turn the key? It's tricky but it can be done!
If it ticks over...leave it

iamnotme
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by iamnotme » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:56 pm

donkeychomp wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:53 pm
Could be a sticky solenoid. Have you tried whacking the starter motor as you turn the key? It's tricky but it can be done!
It's turning over, just no life trying to start.

Rankine
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Rankine » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:47 pm

I had a similar issue a while back and it turned out to be the two blue relays next to the ecu. They'd filled with water. This was in my sj tho and not a vit. Same ecu and loom tho
SJ413 LWB Santana 33s, 94",

iamnotme
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by iamnotme » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:23 pm

Cheers, I'll try to get my head in there and have a look.