Starter issue, after clicky starter fix

Got an electrical gremlin? Ask the question here.
Philpy
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Starter issue, after clicky starter fix

Post by Philpy » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:02 am

Hi, I recently did the clicky starter fix using a new relay, and following instructions I found on here.
This did the job nicely and it starts everytime now. However after about a week, sometimes when starting the starter wouldn't disengage obv causing hell of a noise. Turning off and on again solves it, but recently as Ive been driving along the starter will engage all on its own!!

Cant quite work out why this is happening? Esp it engaging like 5 mins after starting whilst moving?

Ideas?

Thanks

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Re: Starter issue, after clicky starter fix

Post by twiss » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:13 am

There's a couple of things it could be really...

a wiring issue at the ignition barrel - mine melted inside and the starter would always spin as soon as you went past ACC
dodgy solenoid - could be activating the starter
dodgy wiring - a short somewhere activating it

next time you drive it, start her up and then remove the small cable from the starter solenoid... if the problem goes away then you probably have an issue with the ignition barrel or the wiring.
Personally once you have ruled out wiring I would remove the starter and bench test it with a battery and some jump leads.
If the starter was not disengaging then you might either have a damaged solenoid, or main drive pinion in the starter. There is also a little lever arm that engages the starter gear that could be sticking
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."