Problems in the alternator/battery loop...

Got an electrical gremlin? Ask the question here.
ThePatchWorkLady
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Problems in the alternator/battery loop...

Post by ThePatchWorkLady » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:43 am

Hi, I'm hoping I can explain all this, I'm no petrol head and have only been driving six months...

I've got a 16v 2003 Suzuki Grand Vitara Auto.

I got a new alternator for christmas as mine was well squeaky and I presume, on its way out. My fella trawled the net and bought me a slightly more powerful one, Took it to the garage, had it fitted, drove home fine, then next time I used it, she died in the dark on a main road, stereo went, then lights, indicators etc, scaring me witless. No battery warning light came on. Called the rac, who thoroughly checked new alternator, its not charging the battery-batteries old and wrong size so I (ouch) bought a new battery there and then and the rac chap got me home.

Took it back to the garage, had old squeaky alternator put back on and squeaked me way home.
Next trip out, she died half way up a rural single track hill in the back end of nowhere, again, no battery warning light, she just went dim, then died. Had to wait hours for the rac in the cold and dark not knowing where I even was. I've watched far to much Silent Witness recently and spent those hours wondering if I was going to find a dead foot or meet a serial killer.

Anyway, Rac chap got me home again but now she's totally dead, I'm going to borrow a battery charger later and charge the battery up again so I can get her to A garage. I'm not sure I should used the same one now, twice I've been told she's working ok then had to be rescued by the rac the same day. that don't inspire me with confidence.

From what I've been reading, its looking like a electrical fault and she was sat all last winter so i would not be surprised if there's some rust or something. Since I bought her I've been slowing replacing the cheaper bits, new fan belt, new alternator belt, new windscreen, new alternator(!)

I would really like a manual with good clear drawings of my car so I can work out what should be there and what shouldn't but haines don't seem to do them.

If I took her into a garage would they be able to replace all the wires in the alternator battery loop so I know there all new, all working, all faults totally ruled out? and what sort of money would I be looking at. Would happily have a go myself but I know sod all about cars, electrics and have no tools. I'm a seamstress, I just put my foot down and stuff goes.....

Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Problems in the alternator/battery loop...

Post by Anton » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:17 pm

Weird that your battery warning light didn't come on. A good mechanic should be able to tell if your alternator is working, so it all seems a bit suspect.

What part of the world are you in? Perhaps one of the members close to you knows a better mechanic...
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

ThePatchWorkLady
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by ThePatchWorkLady » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:24 pm

Hiya, thanks for your reply, I'm in Gloucestershire, near Cheltenham and cirencester but I was using a garage in Stroud.

ThePatchWorkLady
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by ThePatchWorkLady » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:29 pm

My (old) garage and the rac chaps both said my alternators were working fine, giving off the correct charge and charging the battery etc, but then hours later my car dies so something is wrong or changing when I'm driving it, loose connection maybe? I did think that if my wiring was that bad then surely a mechanic would have noticed it and said something by now...

Anton

Post by Anton » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:16 pm

It's not always that simple. There may be nothing wrong with your battery or alternator, the problem *could* be elsewhere - no way to know really, and I'm not an expert on alternators.

It could be something like a dry joint in one of your leads - and no-one would be able to tell just by looking at it.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

r-nottz
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by r-nottz » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:08 pm

Got to be something between the battery and alternator, if you were in Bristol I'd suggest my father in law, the most down to earth mechanic youl meet he doesn't do it for the money.

zook123
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by zook123 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:36 pm

Makes you wonder if the battery is dodgy! My Corsa had no issues when in the garage, but would randomly die. Until the new battery was fitted!
2002 Jimny O2 Ragtop
Safari Snorkel, Freewheeling Hub Conversion
Diff Breathers, G/Box and T/Box Breathers, 2in Suspension Lift
HD Recovery Points and Winch Plate
Kuhmo KL71 MT / Goodyear Wrangler AT

Wessex 4X4 Reponse - WE411
wessex4x4response.org.uk

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:48 pm

Does the warning light come on when you switch the ignition to the ACC position but don't start the engine?
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

ThePatchWorkLady
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by ThePatchWorkLady » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:07 pm

I don't get any dashboard lights until i start the engine, then I get the battery light and all the others briefly. I presume that's normal...

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:37 pm

So long as you know the bulb works that's the bulb ruled out and also on some systems where the bulb is part of the exciter circuit it won't charge with a blown bulb.
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.