Fog light help..

Got an electrical gremlin? Ask the question here.
dan00001
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Fog light help..

Post by dan00001 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:41 pm

1986 Suzuki sj413

I'm sure I remember the rear fog lights working at some point but no longer work and need to get them working for an MOT re-test.

Green/blue & green/black wires going to rear bumper, electrical connectors connected with 1 red and 1 white wire going to the fog lights.

One of the white wires I found disconnected, possibly corroded but I presumed it should connect like any bulb/electrical appliance, +/- ?

But still couldn't get them to work (possibly the actual fog light is too corroded?)

I tried earthing the white wire; with dipped head lights, nothing but with only side lights I get a spark.

I am no auto electrician and have tried to explain my scenario as best I can, if anyone could please help would be great as I need to get her in for a re-test asap.

By the way, she failed only on a headlight bulb, fog lights and an 'insecure number plate' :roll:

I am happy with this obviously but I think the garage could have offered to fix the problem to pass the MOT!

Thanks,
Dan.

donkeychomp
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Fog light help..

Post by donkeychomp » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:18 pm

Have you remembered to turn on the headlights? Fog light won't work otherwise...
If it ticks over...leave it

Darrell
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Darrell » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:19 pm

This help
At the foglight.. Green/blue live with foglight switch on.
Green/black earth when headlights on.
Attachments
Headlight foglight.jpg
Headlight foglight.jpg (98.26 KiB) Viewed 4509 times
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

dan00001
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by dan00001 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:31 pm

Thanks Darrell,

That might help, I did do a search and found your diagram but i must admit, I'm not much good with electrics and diagrams but I'm hoping my dad might help me tomorrow with a multi meter.

dan00001
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by dan00001 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:26 pm

Right..

I managed to get the fog lights working momentarily, the green/black wired had corroded at the connection end so put a new connector on and connected it back up and they worked,

I then turned all lights off, fitted the fog light covers back on and went to test them again and nothing.. :( and also the light on the fog light switch has gone very very dim, it does light up but very faintly.

Also, when the headlights are either off or only side lights on (I), the green/black wire becomes live but switches to earth when all lights are on (II)

please help...